[SOLVED] PC connected to TV via HDMI causes TV remote problems

Jun 11, 2022
Hello,

Hoping people might be able to help me with my strange and specific problem. I have an ASUS PN50 mini PC which I use as a home entertainment PC that connects to my Sony Bravia X90J television.

HDMI connects and displays picture fine. The problem is that when the PC (either turned off or turned on) is connected to the TV via HDMI, the TV's remote stops working properly (delayed response from button pushing, barely works).

I have had to use a third party app on my phone to control the TV while the computer is connected. Does anyone know of anything I could try to fix this problem?

I have contacted ASUS and Sony and they are basically blaming each other without giving me any usable ideas to fix the problem. I have already tried using different HDMI ports and cables in the television, only one port in PC. I have also tried doing a hard reset of the television and installing what I believe to be the most up to date drivers for everything on the PC.

Specs:
Asus PN 50, Windows 10 Home 64 bit
BIOS: 0623
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 4300U with Radeon Graphics

Kind regards,
Jesse.

Solution
Have you tried disabling HDMI CEC ( the remote control protocol ) on the TV? It is possible that the TV is confused and trying to "control" the PC.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
In specs of pc i see listed
  • Infrared (IR) receiver for remote control of applications
What happens if you use tv remote close up (no line of site to pc case) to the tv, does lag still happen?. If it doesn't, locate the ir receiver on case and try cover it with something.

If covering IR receiver helps try change remote ID in tv. Often tvs have a remote ID you can change if had multiple tvs like in a store. Maybe the two IR are conflicting and signal from remote is weakened.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022
Hello thank you for the suggestion.

Unfortunately it still happens when right close to the TV. The light of the TV flashes as if receiving signal at the correct time, however it can be up to a 10 second delay for the input of the buttons to take effect. It then often actions every button that was pressed in that time all at once.

The moment I pull the HDMI out of the PC, the relationship between the remote and the TV goes completely back to normal.

Jun 11, 2022
Thankyou for showing me where the IR receiver is. I have tried covering it up but it did not make a difference. I'm not really confident about opening the computer casing up and I couldn't find anywhere to change the remote ID on the television.

I have resorted to trying to find a different remote to buy that would be unaffected. I was thinking something that somehow connects to a wireless USB dongle that I plug into the TV but I'm not sure.

Jun 11, 2022
It's any channel no matter what. I could be watching TV and if the PC is connected via HDMI the remote is affected, even if the computer's off. It's really strange.

Jun 11, 2022
Yeah there's an Xbox Series X and an Xbox One connected. I've tried having them unplugged to see if it makes a difference but unfortunately does not.

It seems I'm not going to be able to work out what the conflict between the PC and the TV is but it only applies when the HDMI is in. If there was a physical remote that connected via wifi I thought that might also work but from my research that doesn't seem to exist.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Like is it only pc related, would remote lag happen with something else like a console connected to same hdmi port and cable?

Just a thought, have you changed batteries in remote? I know the thing returns back to normal with no hdmi cable connected but just in case.

Jun 11, 2022
Yeah definitely PC related. Doesn't matter what I've got connected in terms of any other HDMI devices as soon as that HDMI goes into the PC the remote stops working properly.

I tried going into the TV settings and switching the HDMI signal format from enhanced to standard to see if that did anything but it made no difference.

Here's a long shot, but maybe see if you have the same issue with the hdmi cable plugged in to the tv, but nothing (no pc) on the other end. If it's still weird, maybe try another hdmi cable.
It's a strange issue for sure. Almost think it's the tv's fault..sluggish logic

Reactions: boju
Jun 11, 2022
Yeah I agree I think it's ultimately the software of the TV. I have tried HDMI in TV with nothing at other end and it works fine.

Don't think I'll ever be able to fix it because Sony won't bother fixing an issue that I guess only affects people with a very specific PC. Probably requires them to do some sort of firmware update or something.

I still think my best bet is a different remote but am having trouble finding one that doesn't use IR or bluetooth as I think they would cause the same problem. Really appreciate all your suggestions though.

Jun 11, 2022
Have you tried disabling HDMI CEC ( the remote control protocol ) on the TV? It is possible that the TV is confused and trying to "control" the PC.

So Sony calls their HDMI-CEC 'Bravia Sync' so it took me a while to find it in the settings. But once I did..... IT FIXED IT! I'm so relieved and now I can use my TV PC combo again for the first time in months without having to use my phone.

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me on this thread. I had long given up but none of you did, thank you all again.

Reactions: boju