[SOLVED] PC consistently dropping connection every 1-10 minutes for the past week, how do I fix this?

May 31, 2021
For the past week or so, my internet on my computer has been dropping frequently on a random basis. I have tried all the different troubleshooting methods; updating drivers, changing ethernet cable, turning off the power management thing, all to no avail. I have also tested a wireless USB dongle, and that also disconnected frequently again. I bought a new WiFi extender, (I was previously using an old one so I thought that was the problem) with an ethernet cable plugged into it but that was also not the problem. The problem is also not with the actual router because every other device connected to it works fine so I can only assume it is my PC. Please could someone offer me some help, as at this point i'm completely clueless.

Solution
These are extremely hard to find. I would be sure to find the option that prevents windows from updating any drivers. I have had it replace video drivers and it would boot to a black screen which was painful to fix. For now I have windows set to only take updates when I tell it to but even then it seem risky they have so many bad updates. Maybe they should actually put out real security only patches rather than thinking they have to force a xbox store app update.
May 31, 2021
Hey there, so for anyone who sees this now, what I had to do was do a windows 10 reset (the one that doesn't get rid of all files) and that did the job. It's really unfortunate, and clearly once again it wasn't our own fault, but Microsoft's. Now, before installing any windows 10 updates, I am going to ensure they are safe to download before doing so.

Last edited:
These are extremely hard to find. I would be sure to find the option that prevents windows from updating any drivers. I have had it replace video drivers and it would boot to a black screen which was painful to fix. For now I have windows set to only take updates when I tell it to but even then it seem risky they have so many bad updates. Maybe they should actually put out real security only patches rather than thinking they have to force a xbox store app update.

Solution
May 31, 2021
Yep, I've now disabled windows updates and I'm currently reinstalling all of my apps. Thanks Microsoft, very cool!

TRENDING THREADS