Question Constant BSODs --- - - "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
Hello. My PC specs are
Ryzen 5 2400G
ASUS Phoenix GeForce GTX 1050Ti
16gb Crucial Ballistix Ram 2666mhz but 3200 at xmp which I turned off in hope to fix bluescreens.
GA-AX370 Gaming 5
256GB PM991 SSD
Windows 10 21H1

So. Every few minutes my pc constantly bluescreens with "WHEA_UNCORRECATBLE_ERROR". I've only just noticed though that after install Fall Guys, it gets past all of the startups until Downloading Resources. As soon as it reaches here, it bluescreens.

When I am trying to play games like for example Fall Guys, I bluescreen when either I am loading into the game or when I get into a game, as soon as the countdown is over and the game starts it instantly bluescreens. The only game which this does not happen to is Minecraft Java Edition.

The bluescreen error code is "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR". I have tried to make dump files, but after a bluescreen when I go to C:\Windows, nothing is there.
I have used check disk and Windows Memory Diagnostics, no errors.

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
So Wifi adapter plugs into the USB slot? I wonder why it has a dongle if you don't use it.

What make/model is it? I want to see what chip it uses.

it might not be the problem. I might be getting side tracked but I have seen WIFI adapters cause loads of errors in the last few years. I don't know if they were same errors, most of time its driver errors

I am going. I look in here when I wake up.
Well I can send you the Amazon link if that helps,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08BHY92R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And you see where the USB plugs into the base thing, well until like a year ago I never noticed that you could just plug it directly plug it into your pc.

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
I read the whole topic before i gave out my suggestions as of what to do (what Colif might have missed). Now, the issue you have, seems to be software related, rather than hardware. And since software fixes are for free, albeit it takes more time, doing troubleshooting steps prior to opening your wallet is preferred.

With PCs, and namely with software, the hardest and most time consuming part isn't the actual fix, but instead finding out what causes the issue. And to narrow down possible suspects, there are things to do. E.g do 1st thing - did it help? If not, do 2nd thing - did it help? If not, do 3rd thing. Etc. Until the culprit has been found.

SFC /scannow is de-facto, #1 thing to do, when you have software issues, since this command will check the entire OS and will fix and replace all and any files that are either missing or corrupt.

Now, the easiest and least time consuming software "fix" is clean Win install. Since this will get rid of all and any software issues you have in your PC, with the cost of you loosing all your personal data on your OS drive. This starts the PC from clean slate. But since loosing personal data isn't something everyone are comfortable with, there are plethora of steps, to try, to figure out what is wrong with your system, software wise.

So, i ask again: How about the other 3 i asked for?
As I said, I've factory reset and done scannow but I guess i'll try again...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
SFC /scannow doesn't take loads of time not to do it. Once the scan is complete, a logfile is created. It's path is written in the CMD. You can look it up, open it and read what exactly SFC /scannow found and fixed (quite an interesting read, at least, it was for me when i cleaned my system).

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
I read the whole topic before i gave out my suggestions as of what to do (what Colif might have missed). Now, the issue you have, seems to be software related, rather than hardware. And since software fixes are for free, albeit it takes more time, doing troubleshooting steps prior to opening your wallet is preferred.

With PCs, and namely with software, the hardest and most time consuming part isn't the actual fix, but instead finding out what causes the issue. And to narrow down possible suspects, there are things to do. E.g do 1st thing - did it help? If not, do 2nd thing - did it help? If not, do 3rd thing. Etc. Until the culprit has been found.

SFC /scannow is de-facto, #1 thing to do, when you have software issues, since this command will check the entire OS and will fix and replace all and any files that are either missing or corrupt.

Now, the easiest and least time consuming software "fix" is clean Win install. Since this will get rid of all and any software issues you have in your PC, with the cost of you loosing all your personal data on your OS drive. This starts the PC from clean slate. But since loosing personal data isn't something everyone are comfortable with, there are plethora of steps, to try, to figure out what is wrong with your system, software wise.

So, i ask again: How about the other 3 i asked for?
View: https://imgur.com/a/Zv9GqHr

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Some other CMD commands as well, that you can run;

1st this one:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Once 1st one is complete, it is followed by 2nd one:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

And after the 2nd, 3rd and final command is:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3rd command might take a while. Also don't kill/exit the CMD when the progress on 3rd one seemingly gets stuck. It will finish after few mins.

---

Now, BSoD issue appearing in games, may also point towards bad GPU drivers, that, for some reason, do not want to work with your system.

Here, using DDU, uninstall your GPU drivers.
Then download from Nvidia site a version or two older drivers and install that one.

While it is not the "latest", i've had issues where i had to roll back GPU drivers a version or two, to get my PC running smoothly again. And once even never version is released, i can then update to that one, skipping the "bad" version.

---

Edit;

What does Event Viewer say at the time of your BSoD? Namely "Windows Logs -> System" subsection.

---

Edit 2;

I see that you tried with only one monitor, but without actually removing your GTX 1050 Ti. How about giving that a try? Since if you get rid of all your BSoD, by using iGPU inside your CPU, the possible culprits are only handful. Or it could be only one, GPU itself.

Last edited:

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
Some other CMD commands as well, that you can run;

1st this one:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Once 1st one is complete, it is followed by 2nd one:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

And after the 2nd, 3rd and final command is:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3rd command might take a while. Also don't kill/exit the CMD when the progress on 3rd one seemingly gets stuck. It will finish after few mins.

---

Now, BSoD issue appearing in games, may also point towards bad GPU drivers, that, for some reason, do not want to work with your system.

Here, using DDU, uninstall your GPU drivers.
Then download from Nvidia site a version or two older drivers and install that one.

While it is not the "latest", i've had issues where i had to roll back GPU drivers a version or two, to get my PC running smoothly again. And once even never version is released, i can then update to that one, skipping the "bad" version.

---

Edit;

What does Event Viewer say at the time of your BSoD? Namely "Windows Logs -> System" subsection.

---

Edit 2;

I see that you tried with only one monitor, but without actually removing your GTX 1050 Ti. How about giving that a try? Since if you get rid of all your BSoD, by using iGPU inside your CPU, the possible culprits are only handful. Or it could be only one, GPU itself.
Hey, so I tried all of the commands. All said nothing's wrong.
I even went through the trouble of uninstalling my current GPU driver, I had the latest one, and got the one below the driver that came out a few days before I started getting WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, and I still bluescreen.

And for the edit, I looked in C:\Windows\Logs if thats where you meant and the only thing in there with the word "System" was SystemRestore folder, which had nothing inside.
And for the removal of GPU, can I just plug my monitors into my motherboard and leave the GPU in? All of my stuff is plugged into my PC and its a nightmare setting it all up, so having to unscrew the bracket and then having to take it out would be annoying for me.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
And for the removal of GPU, can I just plug my monitors into my motherboard and leave the GPU in? All of my stuff is plugged into my PC and its a nightmare setting it all up, so having to unscrew the bracket and then having to take it out would be annoying for me.

You already left your GPU in your PC. So time to test with GPU actually removed.

Now, your GTX 1050 TI is fully powered by PCI-E x16 slot and there is no way to "turn it off", other than physically pulling it out from the system.
And while component removal may be inconvenient, so is all the troubleshooting needed to be done, to fix the issue. Troubleshooting is never a pleasant thing to do and you can't cut corners while doing it.

Btw, all what you need to unplug, are monitor cables from GPU. The rest of the cables at the back I/O of your MoBo can be left plugged in. Just don't forget to flip PSU switch before opening the PC and then flip it back to ON position, when you're about to power-on the system.

Reactions: Colif

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
You already left your GPU in your PC. So time to test with GPU actually removed.

Now, your GTX 1050 TI is fully powered by PCI-E x16 slot and there is no way to "turn it off", other than physically pulling it out from the system.
And while component removal may be inconvenient, so is all the troubleshooting needed to be done, to fix the issue. Troubleshooting is never a pleasant thing to do and you can't cut corners while doing it.

Btw, all what you need to unplug, are monitor cables from GPU. The rest of the cables at the back I/O of your MoBo can be left plugged in. Just don't forget to flip PSU switch before opening the PC and then flip it back to ON position, when you're about to power-on the system.
Ok, I'm sorry but I will do this in a few days as this is something I need tools I dont have for

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, I'm sorry but I will do this in a few days as this is something I need tools I dont have for

Only thing that you need, is a screwdriver with Philips head, to unscrew the one screw holding GPU in place. (I replaced mine with thumbscrews, CableMod anodized aluminum thubscews for looks. :sol: )
Maybe up to 3 screws, if your side panel also has two screws to hold it in place. And that's it.

And please, don't tell me that you do not have even a single Phillips screwdriver in your home.
:eek2:
I have ~30 of those, with loads of different bits and both manual (hand driven) and automatic (power tool driven).

Rezii

Great
Feb 21, 2022
Only thing that you need, is a screwdriver with Philips head, to unscrew the one screw holding GPU in place. (I replaced mine with thumbscrews, CableMod anodized aluminum thubscews for looks. :sol: )
Maybe up to 3 screws, if your side panel also has two screws to hold it in place. And that's it.

And please, don't tell me that you do not have even a single Phillips screwdriver in your home.
:eek2:
I have ~30 of those, with loads of different bits and both manual (hand driven) and automatic (power tool driven).
Hey, I am really sorry for the extremely late response. So I took out my GPU, and I don't bluescreen anymore. Its just that now I have to use my second monitor for my pc, which is only 60hz, instead of my 144hz main one. I think I am just going to quit PC and return to Xbox as I can't buy a new card.