[SOLVED] PC constantly restarts when connected to HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

3vilc

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
A search around Google doesn't really yield many useful answers so thought I would try here.
So the issue is I brought a small HDMI monitor (for the purpose of making an in case system info screen), every time I plug a cable into the HDMI port, the machine just resets constantly after a few seconds, will load into windows again and same thing, no bluescreen nothing just a straight reset like you would expect with a CPU thermal shutdown or PSU fault. Runs fine normally games for hours with graphics card at max power everything runs fine. Drivers are up to date.
I have yet to try plugging just the cable without the monitor to see if same thing happens (about to try that after I've written this). Have tried a different cable same thing. Can't try a different monitor as my main monitor is DVI only (time for an upgrade I know). I think I have a DP-DVI adapter somewhere to try swapping the main screen but no DP-HDMI to try the 2nd monitor on another port. I guess next on the list is try the extra monitor on the playstation or something (assuming the fault isnt present with just the cable connected).
The only other suggestion I found was the extra load of the 2nd port is maxing the power supply but given that it happens with the system idle yet runs fine with the GPU at maxed out on 1 screen I dont imagine this being an issue but can try unplugging extra LEDs and fans see if this makes a difference if anyone thinks it worthwhile.
A quick system summary EVGA GTX1060, Acer motherboard i5 3470, 16gb GSkill RipjawsX, 450w psu.

So if anyones got any ideas or other things I can try, assistance is much appreciated :)

3vilc

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Problem solved...somehow :)
After fiddling around for ages last night, I just hooked it all up again and it works, must be a plug that has to sit at a certain angle or something. At least finding my DP-DVI adapter solved the problem of getting the PC to boot to the main monitor instead of the little screen so double bonus :)

Status
Not open for further replies.