Question PC constantly turning off and on

Zeath oWo

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
So I have a gaming PC kinda old but has a powerfull i7 4770k and a RTX 2060 graphic card

My problem is that as of today (10min ago) my PC just shut down not immidiatly, it like turned itself off with the "shutting down" screen, no error. But then it tried to start itself and shutdown a few seconds later and that just kept happening until I unplugged the power. I gave it 5min and started the pc. This time I got to my windows desktop and it shutdown again with the "shutting down" tho this time with an error of some sort 0x00000(some numbers here I cant remember) shutdown too fast for me to read. And then it just got into the same loop again with going on and off. My rgb keyboard and mouse flickers, my graphic card colors turns off and on in the proccess, as if something that controls all the power in the pc just turns everything on and off if thats even possible. I'm not really a tech guy, I need things explained, I just like games. Hopefully someone in here has a clue and can help me? Thanks in advance :)

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Full PC Specs?

Have you tried using windows startup repair? There way be something wrong with your windows installation.

If you can't get windows startup repair to work, try to re-install windows.

Zeath oWo

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
Full PC Specs?

Have you tried using windows startup repair? There way be something wrong with your windows installation.

If you can't get windows startup repair to work, try to re-install windows.

I don't have a way to re-install windows unless thats like an option within the PC
Full specs:
CPU: i7 4770k
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060
PSU: 750w
Motherboard: MSI Z something from 2013
And a 4 month old Cooler for the CPU

Plicker19

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
try these steps:
1.as your pc is booting up, hold down F1, F2, esc, or delete (whichever one your pc supports)
  1. you are now in the BIOS setup.
  2. Find the SATA mode and change it to AHCI or SATA mode.
  3. Save and exit.
2381d5c40ad85a0750b1774476a14475-full.png

Zeath oWo

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
try these steps:
1.as your pc is booting up, hold down F1, F2, esc, or delete (whichever one your pc supports)
  1. you are now in the BIOS setup.
  2. Find the SATA mode and change it to AHCI or SATA mode.
  3. Save and exit.
2381d5c40ad85a0750b1774476a14475-full.png
My computer just doesn't stay on long enough for me to get that far.

Zeath oWo

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
it goes by very quick. does it even show the brand title as its booting up? if it does, press it then.

I does not, its got to the point now where as soon as I connect it to a power cabel, the PC starts and is not even on for 3 seconds and it shutdowsn, repeated until I unplug the cabel

Zeath oWo

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
sounds like a power supply issue, or a thermal issue.
sounds like a power supply issue, or a thermal issue.
But can a PSU really just be defected just like that? been working for years and its a good quality one and when the issue first started the computer gave me a warning "Shutting down" and a windows error the 2nd time which I didnt get to read because it came unexpectedly and went by quick.

To actually see a 'shutting down' message is rather odd, almost as if it is a solicited event...

Perhaps the power switch itself is accidentally partially engaging (partially jammed/sticking front pwr switch mechanism, etc)? If you move the 'reset switch' wires (when fully powered off) to the PWR SW header pins, you can repurpose the reset switch temporarily to test that theory.. So wired, no your reset button/switch is now functioning perfectly as the power switch,as both switches are merely momentary contact switches anyway.

Zeath oWo

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
Aight so I have some new information. The PC as of today has been working (kinda) I haven't done any changes and now it can atleast start fully up and let me be on for anywhere between 10min to I shut it down myself. Been on it all day today and it has by itself shutdown with the warning "shutting down" everytime and only twice gone into a loop of constantly starting and shutting down. Whats weird is that I can see my RTX 2060 graphic card RGB is kinda jittering like a lightbulb losing power. Could this all be a PSU issue or motherboard problem? I stress tested the PC for over an hour with no issues and Graphic card and CPU not getting over 53 degrees. THis is so weird.

Zeath oWo

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
To actually see a 'shutting down' message is rather odd, almost as if it is a solicited event...

Perhaps the power switch itself is accidentally partially engaging (partially jammed/sticking front pwr switch mechanism, etc)? If you move the 'reset switch' wires (when fully powered off) to the PWR SW header pins, you can repurpose the reset switch temporarily to test that theory.. So wired, no your reset button/switch is now functioning perfectly as the power switch,as both switches are merely momentary contact switches anyway.
This could be it. I'll test that tomorrow, I swapped Cabinet a few months ago and the problem started friday. Please read the comment with extra information, would be a big help if you find the time.

Zeath oWo

Prominent
Feb 13, 2019
Aight so I have some new information. The PC as of today has been working (kinda) I haven't done any changes and now it can atleast start fully up and let me be on for anywhere between 10min to I shut it down myself. Been on it all day today and it has by itself shutdown with the warning "shutting down" everytime and only twice gone into a loop of constantly starting and shutting down. Whats weird is that I can see my RTX 2060 graphic card RGB is kinda jittering like a lightbulb losing power. Could this all be a PSU issue or motherboard problem? I stress tested the PC for over an hour with no issues and Graphic card and CPU not getting over 53 degrees. THis is so weird.
It has shutdown by itself 5 times and gone into loop twice, 2nd loop wasn't that long.*