PC Cooling Options

jon0

Reputable
May 4, 2014
So i recently bought a R9 280x toxic edition, upgrading from my previous Gtx 660. My old 660 was a reference model card and pushed heat out the back of the case as opposed to dumping it inside the case.

Since getting the toxic card, i've run into one main problem. When gaming my CPU gets to around 78-82 degrees (maximum) whilst playing demanding games such as Far Cry 3. My toxic card only gets to about 76 degrees at the very max with a fan speed of 68%

My case is the corsair 200R and i've realized that the airflow is pretty bad, it feels as though the front intake fan does absolutely nothing and the only fan at work is the back exhaust fan. Putting this aside, i'm wondering what i can do to make my CPU stay at a decent temperature and also improve overall cooling in my PC. The main thing i'm stuck on is where to put the fans and where will be the most efficient in terms of cooling.

misfitkid86

Distinguished
May 23, 2012
is it cooled with just the stock fan? if so invest in a good tower cooler, or better yet if you can fit it grab something like a corsair h100i or h80i, those are all in one water coolers and will drop the temps and sound a great deal.

jon0

Reputable
May 4, 2014

Yeah, im using stock CPU fan. GPU and CPU running at stock speeds.

jon0

Reputable
May 4, 2014

I have a spare fan or two lying around so i'll try two exhausts at the top. I tried a side intake today but that didn't seem to make much difference at all. I'm debating whether a liquid cooler or and air cooler would be better for the CPU in this situation

misfitkid86

Distinguished
May 23, 2012

yeah i really really recommend something like a cooler master hyper212+ or 212 evo. you should be able to fit it in your case, they're cheap and will drop your cpu temps 10+ degrees. as well as allowing you to overclock if you like.

You should try to get a high end noctua air cooling , as water cooling only starts to beat air cooling by a few degrees at the high end models like the h100i, the money you pay for it isn't worth it as you can get a really good air cooler for half the price that does the same

jon0

Reputable
May 4, 2014

My ram is pretty tall, do you think that would be a problem? I can take a picture of inside my case, if it helps

jon0

Reputable
May 4, 2014

I ramped up my fans for gaming and the CPU temp is approximately 15-20 degrees less. Thanks for the suggestion. :D