PC Cooling with fans

Ress13

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
Hello, I recently build my first new PC and been using it for 2 months.

And I'm constantly paranoid that it's over heating. This is my spec:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K -
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB -
SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 250GB -
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB -
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 2133 C14 2x8GB -
MBD: MSI B150M GAMING PRO (MS-7994)-
CPS: VS Corsair 650W

I'm using a NEXTYDE X2 Case http://www.x2products.com/computer-cases/nextyde-x2-6021b-ce-r/
And a Cooler master Hyper 212 EVO.

I got my CPU fan pushing the air throught the heatsink and then out of the back of my case.
My case came with a fan that has a 4 pin molex conector and I hooked it up to the CPS and installed it infront, it also is turned on by a button next to the power button mostly I keep it off.

Anyhow my case heats up while gaming and I'm paranoid isn't it too much I want the parts too last so I was thinking adding extra fans. I tried testing to see how hot it gets with some software but with little luck.

My mobo has 2x4pin system fan plugs and I'm thinking off adding those 2. I'm thinking to put one on the top of the case to suck the air out, right above the CPU's heat sink and another maybe in the back behind heat sink. Now won't there be too much going out ?

Also the fan that is turned off and off by the button bothers me a bit. It's a bit loud when I turn it on and it came with the 4 pin big molex I cant plug it direcly to my mobo. Can anyone maybe provide me with an adapter name so that I could plug this fan directly into the mobo instead.

Or maybe can someone suggest better placements for my fans.

Insides picture. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1c4yoxplybabu4u/20170310_230251.jpg?dl=0

This is what I want to do https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0t7qoba557q3s0/1.jpg?dl=0

Solution
You may need to re-think your wishes. First you say you have one intake fan at the front, but you refuse to use it. Then you say you worry your system is overheating, but you still don't use the front fan because you don't like the noise. This comes under the old saying, "There ain't no free lunch". To get good cooling you need lots of air flow, and that means running the fan at higher speeds, and that means making more noise.

Consider these points.
1. It is "normal" for a case to have at least two ventilation fans - one intake at the front, and a second for exhaust near the back or top. You are using neither. The CPU cooler may be moving some air out the back, but not nearly as much as an actual exhaust fan would do. You are not using...

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Saw your pictures. Thanks, they helped a lot.

OK, it looks like your board only has 3 total fan headers and you are using one for your cpu fan. SO I would put one fan exhausting out the back and replace that junky fan in the front with a 4 pin fan (the back should be a 4 pin fan also). Plug both in to the mobo.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You may need to re-think your wishes. First you say you have one intake fan at the front, but you refuse to use it. Then you say you worry your system is overheating, but you still don't use the front fan because you don't like the noise. This comes under the old saying, "There ain't no free lunch". To get good cooling you need lots of air flow, and that means running the fan at higher speeds, and that means making more noise.

Consider these points.
1. It is "normal" for a case to have at least two ventilation fans - one intake at the front, and a second for exhaust near the back or top. You are using neither. The CPU cooler may be moving some air out the back, but not nearly as much as an actual exhaust fan would do. You are not using the front intake. You need to change that.
2. You are worried that your system may overheat, but don't know how to check for that. The basic way to do that is in BIOS Setup where your CPU and internal case temperatures can be displayed. BUT that can't really be done while you are using the system normally. Instead, Check the CD that came with your mobo for a group of utility software that can be installed. One of those VERY likely is a system monitor that can run as a Windows app and will show you the temperatures. Then you'll have some information to use.
3. Because of the way your only case fan (the front one) it is powered now, it can only run full speed or not at all. If it were connected instead to a mobo SYS_FAN header it could be controlled at lower speeds (and noise) to meet the changing cooling requirements of your system. Still, IF your system actually is getting quite warm, the fans would be running fairly fast.
4. The fan that came with your case has a 4-pin Molex male connector, you say. To convert that to use with a mobo SYS_FAN header is troublesome. It likely would be easier to replace it with the right kind of fan. If you're doing that, get two and mount one at the front to replace that one, and the second at the back to remove air. When choosing the new fans is the time to address the noise issue. There are many fan makers and designs, and some operate much more quietly for the same air flow. You want to choose a fan that gives high air flow at low noise values, and of course it needs to be a size that fits the fan space you have. Noctua fans have a well-deserved reputation for quiet operation at good air flows and for long life, although they are a bit more expensive than some models. For this application you do not need the "high pressure" fans that are designed for CPU coolers with fins. You need the "high airflow" type instead.
5. Your mobo has two SYS_FAN headers for case ventilation fans, each with 4 pins. HOWEVER, they actually operate as 3-pin fan headers using only Voltage Control Mode. This means they can power and control both 3-pin and 4-pin fans. Often you find that very similar fans can be bought in either type but the 3-pin model is cheaper. So get that.

Solution

Ress13

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
Thank you for the replies.
I tried this software called Piriform Speccy and got that while idle my cpu is and gpu are some what 40-50 C. While gaming CPU gets to 60 and GPU might hit 83. Now the front fan is plugged directly to the power supply and is turned on by a button and it works at max thats why I don't like using it much it works like an intake I did turn it on but the tempatures while gaming don't realy go down the fan doesn't do much at all.

Now I ordered one extra fan with vibration canncelion screws and Am going to put it in the back and plug it as a system fan for an out take.

You both mentioned I should put a front one for intake and plug it to mobo as system fan, should I put it where the current one is (the one that is turned on by power button infront) or should I put it above it ?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your choice, I guess. I'd be inclined to replace the older existing fan. However, if you leave that one in place and add a second one that is connected to a mobo SYS_FAN header, then you can leave the older one turned off most of the time, and only turn it on when you believe you need more (but noisier) cooling.