[SOLVED] pc crahes but stays on, display output stops, power and reset button not responding.

Jan 15, 2019
Hello,

Maybe someone here can help me with the following problem, my pc crashes, freezes randomly. there is not a pattern to be found, not at specific times or workloads. it happens most when gaming, because that's the main purpose of this rig. but also at idle doing nothing sometimes. sometimes 6 times a day, sometimes not at all.

What happens is display output stops working, but pc stays on. when i try to use the reset button nothing happens, when i try to hold the power button to restart, nothing happens. only thing that solves it is pulling the power plug out. then the whole thing comes on again and functions as it should be. I know it's not the display output alone that stops because every connection stops too, is not accessible anymore from other pc's or teamviewer etc.

I'm someone who builds his own pc's for 2 decades and never ran into a problem like this. tried everything software related what i could think of, updated drivers etc. teared the thing down and build it back up completely. I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction, im suspecting a motherboard or psu failure. I bought the psu second hand, psu has been open because previous owner did replace the fan for a quiter one. PC is build 3 months ago and first 6 weeks it ran fine.

Specs:

Asus strix b 450i gaming
ryzen 5 2600
8GB corsair 3000mhz ram
PSU SILVERSTONE SFX Series SX600-G version 1.1
Case silverstone fortress FTZ01 mini itx case
GTX 1070 founders edition

PC is acting as a Console and game streaming server via parsec and is hooked up to a LG OLED tv.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.