[SOLVED] PC Crash and Freeze - Hardware error

metalw6

Reputable
Nov 24, 2018
Hi, I'm facing several Crashes and Freezes with my PC mostly when I play Videogames but sometimes also when I'm using Chrome or Adobe softwares.

What is happening is a video freeze for some sec and then the monitor turns black. Most time it return back normally but seems that the Video Drivers are crushed so I don't have the video accelerator anymore.

Here I'm going to post my build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (not overclocked)
RAM: 4x4GB 1333mhz Corsair Vengeance
MoBo: Gigabyte GA890 AM3
GPU:Sapphire AMD RX580 8GB
PSU: EVGA 650W
HDD: 1x 250GB SSD + 1x 1TB

What I've tried so far:
  1. Clean installation of the latest GPU drivers (Adrenalin 2020.0117);
  2. Stress test for CPU, GPU and RAM without any issue (all the 3 tests done for 1 hour each);
  3. Windows formatted and reinstalled totally clean but the issue still remain.

By using the Reliability Monitor, this is what I can see:

Windows: Hardware error

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffb98c7b0e74a0
Parameter 2: fffff805010e09f0
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 20fc
OS version: 10_0_16299
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.16299.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 6153

I'm going crazy and I still don't understand what is causing this problem. Even if it is a Hardware component, which one is since the stress test didn't give any error?

Solution
I did and the result is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".
Also I've said that I did a Memory stress test without any errors.

As the MoBo is pretty old the BIOS is already updated to the latest version which is related to the year 2010.
I know that the system is pretty old despite the GPU however I've played smoothly until few weeks ago when these crashes and freezes became more frequently.

Any other thoughts?

Well the latest bios update for your motherboard is from the year 2012, but that's still way too old. Whether or not this update to your operating system works, I would actually look forward to replacing that motherboard regardless entirely. Apparently this motherboard is about ten...

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Hi, I'm facing several Crashes and Freezes with my PC mostly when I play Videogames but sometimes also when I'm using Chrome or Adobe softwares.

What is happening is a video freeze for some sec and then the monitor turns black. Most time it return back normally but seems that the Video Drivers are crushed so I don't have the video accelerator anymore.

Here I'm going to post my build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (not overclocked)
RAM: 4x4GB 1333mhz Corsair Vengeance
MoBo: Gigabyte GA890 AM3
GPU:Sapphire AMD RX580 8GB
PSU: EVGA 650W
HDD: 1x 250GB SSD + 1x 1TB

What I've tried so far:
  1. Clean installation of the latest GPU drivers (Adrenalin 2020.0117);
  2. Stress test for CPU, GPU and RAM without any issue (all the 3 tests done for 1 hour each);
  3. Windows formatted and reinstalled totally clean but the issue still remain.
By using the Reliability Monitor, this is what I can see:

Windows: Hardware error

I'm going crazy and I still don't understand what is causing this problem. Even if it is a Hardware component, which one is since the stress test didn't give any error?

:unsure: Have you tried running an SFC scan? What about a stress test on your memory? Is your BIOS up to date?

metalw6

Reputable
Nov 24, 2018
:unsure: Have you tried running an SFC scan? What about a stress test on your memory? Is your BIOS up to date?

I did and the result is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

As the MoBo is pretty old the BIOS is already updated to the latest version which is related to the year 2010.
I know that the system is pretty old despite the GPU however I've played smoothly until few weeks ago when these crashes and freezes became more frequently.

Any other thoughts?

metalw6

Reputable
Nov 24, 2018
You using the latest version of Windows 10?

Just now I've realized that Win10 wasn't updated to the latest version (due to the recent formatting). I'm going to wait until the system is fully updated to run new tests to see if the crashes will disappear or not.

I'll let you know. Thanks!

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Any other thoughts?

Well the latest bios update for your motherboard is from the year 2012, but that's still way too old. Whether or not this update to your operating system works, I would actually look forward to replacing that motherboard regardless entirely. Apparently this motherboard is about ten years old. A PC that old should be replaced. Whenever you see they no longer provide support for something as crucial as your bios, that is a huge red flag. The motherboard has just about outlived its purpose.

Last edited:
Solution