[SOLVED] PC Crash Difficult Unknown Crashing

rosscrabbe

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
I have been trying to fix this custom PC for 2 years now and nobody (even professional) can fix it please help!!!

Unknown PC crashing Issue. Crashes randomly, screen dies pc is still running. Systems show that it does go above 40C when crashing so not a thermal issue. Sometimes it restarts other times the screen turns off and the pc stays on doing nothing. No dump file has been created to identify the crash reason. Has had, windows reset, new hard drive full system wipe. Tried all methods online to fix and still nothing has worked

Specs:
Windows 10 Home
Ryzen 5 1600x
Asrock AB350m Pro4
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Armour 6Gb OCV1
Gskill TridentZ 4x 8Gb
SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550W
NZXT Kraken X62
Crucial BX300 240GB SSD
Seagate HDD Internal 1 TB BarraCuda

It crashed while trying to make this thread WOW.
If there is anymore system information needed then I will supply asap as I really really want this to be fixed for technical work.

Best Regards

Ross

Solution
I performed the MEMTEST86 three times. First two (3200mhz) times the test crashed at test 10 sleeping at around 13 mins to do the restart loop. The third time I switched to the 2400mhz ram it crashed once. It finally completed in 3 hours with no errors. I can assume that this 240mhz is fine. Does this mean that the CPU is fine as well?

I can confirm that it isnt the OS HDD or SSD as I got the issue to occur without the HDD or SSD installed. ONly the CPU/MOBO/GPU or PSU
Since you have 4 DIMMs, it is not surprising that you can't run the RAM at 3200. First gen Ryzen CPUs did not like 4 DIMMs.
With your RAM slower, I would try the portable Linux next. It is possible your Windows install was corrupted by the unstable RAM.

kanewolf

Titan
I have been trying to fix this custom PC for 2 years now and nobody (even professional) can fix it please help!!!

Unknown PC crashing Issue. Crashes randomly, screen dies pc is still running. Systems show that it does go above 40C when crashing so not a thermal issue. Sometimes it restarts other times the screen turns off and the pc stays on doing nothing. No dump file has been created to identify the crash reason. Has had, windows reset, new hard drive full system wipe. Tried all methods online to fix and still nothing has worked

Specs:
Windows 10 Home
Ryzen 5 1600x
Asrock AB350m Pro4
Gskill TridentZ 4x 8Gb
NZXT Kraken X62
Crucial BX300 240GB SSD

If there is anymore system information needed then I will supply asap as I really really want this to be fixed for technical work.

Best Regards

Ross
Do you have the latest BIOS? There have been lots of BIOS updates for 300 series motherboards.
Since you have 4 DIMMs, are you trying to run the RAM faster than 2133? If so, back it down to the default speed.
Have you done a fresh OS install lately? A 2 year old OS could have all sorts of junk leftover.

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016

Specs:
Windows 10 Home
Ryzen 5 1600x
Asrock AB350m Pro4
Gskill TridentZ 4x 8Gb
NZXT Kraken X62
Crucial BX300 240GB SSD

Best Regards

Ross
Try booting without the HDD, and if possible with a known good SSD only, try running memtest. Try a different GPU

rosscrabbe

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
Do you have the latest BIOS? There have been lots of BIOS updates for 300 series motherboards.
Since you have 4 DIMMs, are you trying to run the RAM faster than 2133? If so, back it down to the default speed.
Have you done a fresh OS install lately? A 2 year old OS could have all sorts of junk leftover.

I have updated the BIOS to the lastest version 5.90 as above this update it is meant for the latest 3000 series and new APU. This has made no difference .
I have 2400hz ram that I am running at 2133hz at a voltage of 1.3v to keep it more stable. However the ram lights go out on every restart compared to the other system lights that remain on. I did a complete OS reinstall about 6 months ago and the issue has still persisted.

I have restarted the system without the HDD and this hasnt made a difference. I have run memtest on the RAM and it seems all fine. Unfortunaley I dont have another easily to hand and I dont wan to buy one to find out that isn't the issue.

rosscrabbe

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
I am session even ID 10111, 10110 and 41 in the event viewer as the citical events there were other warnings but im not sure if warnings are the cause.

It is now struggling to get past bios on my restarts and manages to get to the desktop before restarting again about 2 minutes in.

rosscrabbe

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
I am session even ID 10111, 10110 and 41 in the event viewer as the citical events there were other warnings but im not sure if warnings are the cause.

It is now struggling to get past bios on my restarts and manages to get to the desktop before restarting again about 2 minutes in.

rosscrabbe

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
Try booting without the HDD, and if possible with a known good SSD only, try running memtest. Try a different GPU

I have restarted the system without the HDD and this hasn't made a difference. I have run memtest on the RAM and it seems all fine. Unfortunately I don't have another easily to hand and I don't want to buy one to find out that isn't the issue.

Is there another method to test that it isn't the GPU?

rosscrabbe

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
If booting safe mode is stable, then you could try a windows reset, keeping your files. BUT it is quite possible it is a registry problem and only a clean OS install will fix it long term. This goes back to my "2 year old OS install comment above" ...
I have just been running it in safe mode and it has crashed again this was without network just simple safe mode and it has still crashed. I have swapped out the ram for another kit and the same issue has occurred.

Thank you for the help so far its really driving me up the wall. Hopefully there will be some way to fix this.

I have also reseated the RAM and this hasn't worked.

Now it is mainly not even getting to the bios screen and restarting before then sometime it does make it through and to the desktop before crashing within 2 minutes

rosscrabbe

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
Seasonic power supplies are usually rock solid. If you can swap that, it would be the simplest option. Not that swapping power supplies is simple.
I will try and swap it out for another power supply, that make take some time.

I have just had the system restart and display a blue screen with "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" if this is of any help in find out anymore.

Are there any other methods of discounting any of the hardware to narrow it down? between CPU/MOBO/GPU/PSU/SSD
It doesn't seem to be the RAM as of the swap.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I will try and swap it out for another power supply, that make take some time.

I have just had the system restart and display a blue screen with "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" if this is of any help in find out anymore.

Are there any other methods of discounting any of the hardware to narrow it down? between CPU/MOBO/GPU/PSU/SSD
It doesn't seem to be the RAM as of the swap.
Get a portable linux image and boot that. That will separate software vs wardware. Also running MEMTEST86 is a bootable enviroment that can test the stability of your motherboard CPU and RAM.

rosscrabbe

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
Get a portable linux image and boot that. That will separate software vs wardware. Also running MEMTEST86 is a bootable enviroment that can test the stability of your motherboard CPU and RAM.
I have just tried the linux image (Ubuntu) from the USB it worked well until I pressed the restart case button to test the issue as the restart is a know cause to repeat the issue. Meaning this is indeed a hardware issue.
If the system allows I shall perform the MEMTEST86.

rosscrabbe

Commendable
Mar 15, 2018
I performed the MEMTEST86 three times. First two (3200mhz) times the test crashed at test 10 sleeping at around 13 mins to do the restart loop. The third time I switched to the 2400mhz ram it crashed once. It finally completed in 3 hours with no errors. I can assume that this 240mhz is fine. Does this mean that the CPU is fine as well?

I can confirm that it isnt the OS HDD or SSD as I got the issue to occur without the HDD or SSD installed. ONly the CPU/MOBO/GPU or PSU

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan

Since you have 4 DIMMs, it is not surprising that you can't run the RAM at 3200. First gen Ryzen CPUs did not like 4 DIMMs.
With your RAM slower, I would try the portable Linux next. It is possible your Windows install was corrupted by the unstable RAM.

Solution