[SOLVED] PC crash during sleep

rmills55

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Hi all, my partner accidentally put the pc to sleep the other day instead of shut down, and I couldn't wake it!
Anyway pressing power button would power on pc, but then the fans would rev up like to crashed!
I worked out in bios to allow usb device/keyboard to wake it, and it does the same thing. I've come to the conclusion it's crashing because the caps light will not display on keyboard! I rarely use the feature but am assuming there's an issue hidden here?
It has previously crashed including a blue screen! But I updated Nvidia driver and haven't noticed it last 3 weeks!
Something to note is the ram is RGB, and when the pc is asleep the RAM stays lit up the entire time.
Pc specs:
Corsair 850w rm850 80+ gold
16gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengance RGB pro Ram (2x8gb)
Intel ax200 WiFi-6
MSI z590-a pro motherboard
Intel i7 11700k
Corsair icue h100i elite RGB cooler
Rtx 3070ti (I'm thinking palit but can't remember and not near pc to check)
Think that's all that is relevant.
The ram is set at 3200mhz as an overclock, because standardly it was trying to run at 2333mhz? Aparently this is common, and is known as enabling XMP mode.

What I've tried:
-I've tried hibernate, exact same issue.
-I've disabled that link state in windows settings, infact it was already disabled.
-run SFC/scannow
-check windows updates
-uninstalled and reinstalled latest Nvidia drivers

Any suggestions would be great, I've not had the pc long so could return it if it's a failed part!

Solution
Would installing it on another hard drive be a gold idea to test before reinstalling 2tb of games? Thanks!
you can usually salvage most of the games.
but this is a very good reason to keep them installed to a separate drive than the OS though.

if you have a separate disk you want to use for the OS & applications you can just go ahead and do that and use it.

you can remove the previous OS & application folders from your drive and use it as a dedicated games drive.
but make sure you salvage any game settings & save location folders from the Users & ProgramData folders.

if you're using Steam or other game clients you can change the install...
reinstall a fresh copy of Windows.
this is usually a sign of OS corruption when sleep/wake options fail to function correctly.

rmills55

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
reinstall a fresh copy of Windows.
this is usually a sign of OS corruption when sleep/wake options fail to function correctly.
Thank you for your input! It was a custom prebuilt so half expected this response! (Was only way to get a 30 series card)
Would installing it on another hard drive be a gold idea to test before reinstalling 2tb of games? Thanks!

you can usually salvage most of the games.
but this is a very good reason to keep them installed to a separate drive than the OS though.

if you have a separate disk you want to use for the OS & applications you can just go ahead and do that and use it.

you can remove the previous OS & application folders from your drive and use it as a dedicated games drive.
but make sure you salvage any game settings & save location folders from the Users & ProgramData folders.

if you're using Steam or other game clients you can change the install location of games to correspond with your "new" games drive.

instead of re-downloading & installing the entire games library they can just scan what's there and update registry entries, etc where necessary.

Solution
Hi all, my partner accidentally put the pc to sleep the other day instead of shut down, and I couldn't wake it!
Anyway pressing power button would power on pc, but then the fans would rev up like to crashed!
I worked out in bios to allow usb device/keyboard to wake it, and it does the same thing. I've come to the conclusion it's crashing because the caps light will not display on keyboard! I rarely use the feature but am assuming there's an issue hidden here?
It has previously crashed including a blue screen! But I updated Nvidia driver and haven't noticed it last 3 weeks!
Something to note is the ram is RGB, and when the pc is asleep the RAM stays lit up the entire time.
Pc specs:
Corsair 850w rm850 80+ gold
16gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengance RGB pro Ram (2x8gb)
Intel ax200 WiFi-6
MSI z590-a pro motherboard
Intel i7 11700k
Corsair icue h100i elite RGB cooler
Rtx 3070ti (I'm thinking palit but can't remember and not near pc to check)
Think that's all that is relevant.
The ram is set at 3200mhz as an overclock, because standardly it was trying to run at 2333mhz? Aparently this is common, and is known as enabling XMP mode.

What I've tried:
-I've tried hibernate, exact same issue.
-I've disabled that link state in windows settings, infact it was already disabled.
-run SFC/scannow
-check windows updates
-uninstalled and reinstalled latest Nvidia drivers

Any suggestions would be great, I've not had the pc long so could return it if it's a failed part!
If you only use shutdown then use google as to how to disable sleep and hibernate.

rmills55

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
@JohnBonhamsGhost
Sorry I'm being silly, most of my games are actually on the 2tb hard drive, the boot drive js a 1tb m.2 nvme, there arnt many games on that, only the ones that really utilise SSD!
My biggest concern is actually the windows licence, and the iCue software, I understand none of it and wouldnt know if it would be affected in reinstall?

And @Bob.B your right that would be the logical thing to do, I was just concerned that it may be related to previous crashes, or even to a hardware issue further down the line, but your right, I should probably just leave it

My biggest concern is actually the windows license, and the iCue software
your Windows 10 license should be tied to a Microsoft account that is in turn tied to your current system.
unless you purchased an OEM system with Windows pre-installed & pre-registered.

upon a fresh OS install you would just be prompted to create a new User and login with your current MS account and Windows will be registered again to it.

iCUE doesn't care who you are or where you use it.
you can uninstall & reinstall a hundred times and it will always be in the same state.
if you have any RGB profiles configured you can export them to another disk and import them again later after the new install is complete.

On an aside since a similar problem happened to me where the computer was completely fine otherwise and even memtest86 runs passed, if I put the computer to sleep, it wouldn't wake up and I had to hard reset it. It turns out the RAM was bad, so I had to replace it.

Just keep this in mind if you do go down the re-install path and the problem persists.

rmills55

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
On an aside since a similar problem happened to me where the computer was completely fine otherwise and even memtest86 runs passed, if I put the computer to sleep, it wouldn't wake up and I had to hard reset it. It turns out the RAM was bad, so I had to replace it.

Just keep this in mind if you do go down the re-install path and the problem persists.
Morning, I took on board what you said, and thought I'd try 1 ran stick then the other, assuming it's unlikely they're both bad, and the problem persisted!

Then I decided to check the bios version, and would you believe it, it was on an alpha version from over a year ago, so I updated it to version 1.3 (came out 2 weeks ago), THIS FIXED THE PROBLEM!

So luckily I didn't have to reinstall windows, but thank you both for your responses and help!

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost