Question PC crash on games and game-like benchmarks, but nowhere else

Sep 5, 2020
Hey there,
I have a problem with my current machine where (seemingly out of nowhere), it decides to do sudden restarts.
First time it happend, was last week while playing Wasteland 3. Since it was more or less reproducable, it thought that the game was the problem.
I changed my plan in the game and did some other stuff and the problem did not occur again.
The last week I was away, so playing on my PC was not possible.
Today I returned and started playing WoW. Suddenly, the same thing occured - the PC completely restarted.
After the restart, I started the game again. Maybe a minute later, the same thing happend again. (I tried it like 3 times).

My first thought was, that there was an overheating issue with my PC.
So I opened my PC, cleaned it from dust (which was not that much since, I do it every half a year) and started the same procedure.
For an hour or so, nothing happened and I could play again. However, sometime after this while ingame, the pc crashed again.
Again, after every restart and start of the game, the crash occured.
(Same thing a little bit later while playing Crusader Kings 3)

Now, I was starting to worry, that i have a huge hardware problem. I did the following to check where the problem is:
  • Checking Windows System and Application Logs:
    The application logs are clean, so no errors where found.
    The system logs contained the following error entries:
    • The previous system shutdown at 01:50:03 on ‎06/‎09/‎2020 was unexpected.
    • The description for Event ID 56 from source Application Popup cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    • The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly

I couldn't identify any other log entries leading to this issue. No errors or warnings occured before the crash
  • MemTest: no problems were identified
  • Virus scan, Analyzing processes via Hijackthis, and so on...
  • CPU Stress test for 30 Minutes: max temperate was around 50°C/55° C(via HeavyLoad and FurMark) and no crash
  • GPU Stress Test 1 via FurMark for 30 min: max temperature was around 75°C to 80°C and no crash
  • GPU Stress Test 2 via UniEngine Superposition Benchmark (8k,4k,1080p, 720p): On every test, a crash occured relativly fast. The temperature was still at around 70° to 75°C
  • There were no noticable hardware or software updates before the first crash occured
As of right now, I have no clue what or where to check next.
My belief is that there is either a problem with the GPU, PSU or some driver issue (which would be the best case^^).
Unfortunatly, I do not have any spare parts to check against.

Is there something I could check, i have not thought about? I'am grateful for every little tip :)
Thanks in advance.

Sep 5, 2020
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4 .00 ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z170M-D3H-CF
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+
RAM: 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHZ C16 XMP 2.0
HDD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
PSU: Cougar Gaming Cougar GX Serie 600W 80 Plus Gold

Built in February 2016 (RAM and HDD changed in March 2020)

DxDiag log: https://file.io/p6T2tKerMcVJ

Sep 5, 2020
New things I tried:
  • WhoCrashed: No memory dumps for this crash are found. I ensured that the system is able to write dumps
  • Driver Verifier Manager:
    • Standard Settings/Third party driver only: no issues
    • Standard Setttings/All Driver:
      This was probably caused by the following module: hidclass.sys (0xFFFFF80DB9462430) Bugcheck code: 0xC9 (0x220, 0xFFFFF80DB9462430, 0xFFFFD28BD880EE10, 0xFFFFD28BD6687CE0)
      Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION
      file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\hidclass.sys
      product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
      company: Microsoft Corporation
      description: Hid Class Library
      Bug check description: This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier crashes.
      This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
      The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.
    • Standard Settings/hidclass.sys only: no issues
    • From here I assumed there's an issue with any of my usb devices > disconnectet all of them and used another pair of keyboard/mouse
      Still, the crash occured
  • Window System File Checker: no problems found
  • Apparently 2D-based games (C&C Remastered) are excluded from this crash (so far)

Last edited: