Question Pc crash please advise

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Hello, I had a weird incident where my pc crashed, I was just chilling on RuneScape getting stuff done, then all of a sudden my keyboard and mouse lights turned off and my pc locked up completely I had to turn it off via the power button, I’m not sure if these is related to it but during the evening must hard drive randomly disconnected itself and then came up as unrecognised, I had to restart and unplug and put it back in for it to work, I checked the event log but found absolutely no indicator as to what caused the lockup, any advice is greatly appreciated
Specs in sig are accurate but adding here for simplicity thanks lutfij
CPU: ryzen 7 5800x
CPU cooler: game max iceberg
Motherboard: msi x570 mpg gaming edge
Ram: 64gb Kingston fury beast
SSD/HDD: two 2tb hdd/ssd ,one500gb ssd, one 256gb ssd, one 500gb nvme *os drive* plus one 1tb external usb drive
GPU: rtx 3070 palit
PSU: be quite system power 9 700w 80 plus bronze
Chassis:game max diamond

Adding some extra information, it was a similar crash to when my os nvme died, however instead of having issues after it crashed it seems to be okay, unsure if it’s been fixed
I did a sfc /scannow check and it found and fixed corrupt files,
I was also getting some strange *metadata* errors in event viewer but not around the same time it crashed only after I rebooted the system
I was also seeing that there were events saying it couldn’t connect to the update server
My thoughts so far are that it’s either a dying drive again *could be one of my internal ones or the external 1tb I have which randomly disconnected itself and wouldn’t be recognised until I restarted*
Or it could be that windows update attempted to update but something somewhere got corrupted
And caused some strange issue somewhere that caused my system to lockup

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

If the Specs to your build is listed in your sig space, please include that in your thread's body since sig space specs can and will change over time and when that happens this thread and suggestions will be moot tot he end user in the same as you're in now.

If you're on Windows OS, look into Device manager and see if anything is flagged with a yellow exclamation mark.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

If the Specs to your build is listed in your sig space, please include that in your thread's body since sig space specs can and will change over time and when that happens this thread and suggestions will be moot tot he end user in the same as you're in now.

If you're on Windows OS, look into Device manager and see if anything is flagged with a yellow exclamation mark.
Edited to add as much info as I can recall