Question Pc crash when gaming

AdamStain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
Hey all!

I have been playing on my current setup for around three years now, recently I bought a new monitor to improve my experience. (32" 1440p 144hz from AOC)

After installing the monitor it kept going black when playing games (GTA V, AOE2-DE, COD and even Minecraft) so I did my research, updated all drivers, re-installed drivers, used different port on my gpu, used different cables, attempted to use the nvidia control panel to change settings but nothing seemed to work.

Ended up returning the monitor and went back to my old 27" 1080p 144hz monitor. Was fine for a solid day and then that one started doing the exact same thing. It never happened before in the 3 years of using.

Changed the cable again, drivers, the whole thing but it still happening (Less often than the new monitor).

When playing COD my screen went black, game crashed and then the whole computer just froze up. Happened twice in a row (within 20 min).

Kinda lost, read somewhere it might be the GPU or PSU, not sure how to test either. I ran a heaven benchmark test while monitoring temperatures on the gpu when I still had the new monitor but all was normal and nothing happened.

Specs:

i7 7700k
GTX1080
Corsair 850w PSU
1tb NVMe SSD
500gb ssd
4tb hdd
250gb ssd
Corsair 4x4 @3000mz (total16gb) RAM
Asus Z170-A MOBO

Since its monitor related... and the monitor is connecting to you GPU.. is it possible somehow.. you to moved it (your GPU) while connecting disconnecting the cable and maybe the GPU is not properly seated? Can you remove your GPU from the motherboard and connect it again? it's the only idea that comes to my mind....

If the whole system is turning off, it could be the PSU, you should try different one...

AdamStain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2013
Since its monitor related... and the monitor is connecting to you GPU.. is it possible somehow.. you to moved it (your GPU) while connecting disconnecting the cable and maybe the GPU is not properly seated? Can you remove your GPU from the motherboard and connect it again? it's the only idea that comes to my mind....

If the whole system is turning off, it could be the PSU, you should try different one...

Just took the GPU out to re-seat it and I noticed it was quite hot, not sure if thats normal.

I could handle it fine but definitely noticed the heat, anyways, I put it back in and the issue is still present.

I dont have a different GPU or PSU to put in to test if those are the culprits.

The pc doesnt turn off but it did freeze, I can still hear the audio but the screen is completely frozen.