Question PC crash when playing games

lukas.isfeldt

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
So there are tons of posts about this but none of them have solved my problem... My PC runs perfectly until my GPU needs any sort of power at which point the screen turns into grey/black stripes and I have to button restart my PC.

"Obvious" I thought "my PSU is 4 years old after all". Bought a new PSU, now my PC doesn't start at all. Works with on-board graphics, but not the old GPU. Got a new GPU instead. It possibly overheated after about 30 minutes of playing and now my PC wont turn on at all if it is connected. It's dead. So after alot of trial and error and sheer dumb luck my PC is now back to the old 'Crashing when playing games' using the old GPU and new PSU.

To me it still seems like it might be a PSU issue, but that would mean my brand new PSU (Corsair CX550M) is also broken. I also tried a clean driver install, updated my UEFI and manually checked all the hardware connections, hell I tried a different wall socket just in case (which actually "fixed it" back to it's current state from being completely broken with any GPU installed) According to the UEFI my PSU has normal voltage. I requested a PSU replacement just in case but until then I want to try some other stuff until I inevitably just give in and upgrade all components.

This all happened out of nowhere too, my entire system was created 4 years ago, albeit the components were already quite outdated then, and has been running like a charm ever since until that fateful day while playing Path of Exile. No bluescreens, system errors, viruses or even noticable slow downs compared to 4 years ago.

Temp is always around 70-72°C on GPU while playing (according to Speccy), WhoCrashed isn't finding any Crash dumps

in HWiNFO my CPU status varies from 0.7 V to 1.1 V with all cores going into yellow just from moving my mouse around a bunch (no idea if this means anything, I'm honestly not that tech-savvy)

I'm about to run memtest from a flash and let it check my memory and see if that spits out anything... My biggest issue is that I don't have any other system to test my components on so I have no idea if the GPU or PSU are actually broken

Hope I can get some help if anyone bothers to read through my wall of text - Feel free to just ask for info in the comments if you don't want to read through all of it

System information:

i5 4460

XFX Radeon R9 280X
ASRock Z97 Pro4
2x 4gb Crucial DDR3 -1600

current PSU: Corsair CX550M (550W), old psu: beQuiet L8 (500W)

Last edited:

THEearthISFLAT

Upstanding
Feb 16, 2019
REQUIREMENTS
External Power - 6-pins : 1
External Power - 8-pins : 1
Minimum Power Supply Requirement : 750 watt
XFX Recommended Power Supply : XFX 850W PSU

your power supply is inadequate as that is a power hungry card, this is from XFX website

lukas.isfeldt

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
REQUIREMENTS
External Power - 6-pins : 1
External Power - 8-pins : 1
Minimum Power Supply Requirement : 750 watt
XFX Recommended Power Supply : XFX 850W PSU

your power supply is inadequate as that is a power hungry card, this is from XFX website

Okay but then why was I not having any problems whatsoever for FOUR YEARS using the same setup? I was kind of sceptical about the low Wattage on the PSU, but this was a tested and approved build from pcmasterrace, and all their current builds also only use the 550W from Corsair. Gonna try a stronger PSU but I'm not sure that's where my problem lies if my system was running more than fine for 4 full years on a weaker PSU than what I'm using now

lukas.isfeldt

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
update and shameles self-bump: My GPU had a seized fan which may have caused it to pull more power than I had available, oiled it up but didn't help. May need different lubricant as the fan is seized up again this morning.

Good and bad news: I re-seated my RAM at first into the same slots, that brought me into a boot-loop of 1.5-2 seconds, the other RAM slots boot up fine but I my mouse/ keyboard have no power and I'm not getting any visuals. On-board GPU makes no difference in this behavior.

It could be anything at this point, or multiple things combined. My money is on the mobo. I'm just gonna replace everything and upgrade.

sorry if you're here from the future looking for a fix

Edit: another update, writing from my "broken" PC again... and I can not believe that I'm writing this but... check your outlets... The other wall socket seems to be working just fine, still have to do stress tests but the system is at least booting up again, FML

Edit2: Still crashing, works again at other outlet... I'm fucking lost lmao

Last edited: