Question PC crashed after stress test with gpu+psu change

Jun 19, 2019
HUGE NOTE/DETAIL:i dont buy my parts,a middleman who was my dads friend for 20 years handles part buying to make things easy for me since in Pakistan markets are rough

So,i upgraded from a 750ti and coolermaster 460W psu to RX 580 sapphire pulse 4gb edition,the card is not brand new but it definitely seems original(i have lots of experience with fake cards btw but who knows it might be favtory refurb or something) as on the card itself and quite convincing after some light tests too BUT

HERE IS THE PROBLEM,i have a generic looking EZCooler or something 600W cheap PSU i bought due to low budget,not only is it brandless it doesnt have the 8 pin connector required for my card but my middleman used a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter for it....but its a direct adapter....1 6pin to 8pin... that is my first problem it should be 2 6pins to 1 8pin...anyways when istarted kombusyor stress test it was doing good....for 15secs and BAM no explosion or smell but pc crashes and everything doesnt work its not getting any power since even mobo light doesnt work

MY QUESTION
I am quite sure its my psu being fried and am scared some part might be fried but could it be the noname psu at fault or maybe psu AND single 6pin input to 8pin outpit(since there is a huhe difference is powe and carrying by them doesnt make sense how a tiny connector can carry twice the power) also i wanna asj,can the card be at fault too? i will replace my psu tomorow...since even mobo wont work

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

EZCooler or something 600W cheap PSU
Problem number 1
The one part to not skrimp on, is the PSU, otherwise it can cause all manner of stability problems, and equally not have the adequate mechanisms in place to protect your other components should something go wrong.

it doesnt have the 8 pin connector required for my card but my middleman used a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter for it
Problem number 2
There's usually a reason why a PSU doesn't have appropriate connections, usually because it wasn't made to power those kind of components. So having to use an adapter is a huge red flag for large components (such as your GPU). As it's effectively suggesting your PSU wasn't really made to power that GPU.

even mobo light doesnt work
This will be indicative of a power issue.

The downfall of the cheap PSU, as I previously stated, is that it often doesn't have the right protections in place to protect other components, and this could well have happened, but the only way you'll know is by putting in a new good quality PSU and seeing if everything works normally, but there is every risk that other components could be damaged.

I'd be surprised if the card is at fault too, I would much sooner blame the poor quality PSU. That and the GPU potentially didn't get adequate power from that PSU anyway, which could cause the crash.

Reactions: Fuurocious
Jun 19, 2019
HUGE NOTE/DETAIL:i dont buy my parts,a middleman who was my dads friend for 20 years handles part buying to make things easy for me since in Pakistan markets are rough

So,i upgraded from a 750ti and coolermaster 460W psu to RX 580 sapphire pulse 4gb edition,the card is not brand new but it definitely seems original(i have lots of experience with fake cards btw but who knows it might be favtory refurb or something) as on the card itself and quite convincing after some light tests too BUT

HERE IS THE PROBLEM,i have a generic looking EZCooler or something 600W cheap PSU i bought due to low budget,not only is it brandless it doesnt have the 8 pin connector required for my card but my middleman used a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter for it....but its a direct adapter....1 6pin to 8pin... that is my first problem it should be 2 6pins to 1 8pin...anyways when istarted kombusyor stress test it was doing good....for 15secs and BAM no explosion or smell but pc crashes and everything doesnt work its not getting any power since even mobo light doesnt work

MY QUESTION
I am quite sure its my psu being fried and am scared some part might be fried but could it be the noname psu at fault or maybe psu AND single 6pin input to 8pin outpit(since there is a huhe difference is powe and carrying by them doesnt make sense how a tiny connector can carry twice the power) also i wanna asj,can the card be at fault too? i will replace my psu tomorow...since even mobo wont work
BTW after crashing pc stopped workingznit even mobo started,like, you know how a light flashes on mobo before you press the power buttin and then pc starts up....yeah,so the psu either died alone or took the mobo with it... rip

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Only way you'll know is by replacing the PSU and retesting.
Just make sure the replacement PSU is good quality, with the appropriate power on the 12V rail and the appropriate connections!

It really pays, to pay more for your PSU. Either way, I hope you get it sorted my friend.

Jun 19, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Problem number 1
The one part to not skrimp on, is the PSU, otherwise it can cause all manner of stability problems, and equally not have the adequate mechanisms in place to protect your other components should something go wrong.

Problem number 2
There's usually a reason why a PSU doesn't have appropriate connections, usually because it wasn't made to power those kind of components. So having to use an adapter is a huge red flag for large components (such as your GPU). As it's effectively suggesting your PSU wasn't really made to power that GPU.

This will be indicative of a power issue.

The downfall of the cheap PSU, as I previously stated, is that it often doesn't have the right protections in place to protect other components, and this could well have happened, but the only way you'll know is by putting in a new good quality PSU and seeing if everything works normally, but there is every risk that other components could be damaged.

I'd be surprised if the card is at fault too, I would much sooner blame the poor quality PSU. That and the GPU potentially didn't get adequate power from that PSU anyway, which could cause the crash.
after lots of thinking i came to same result,thanks for your time and pls pray other parts were safe XD

Jun 19, 2019
Only way you'll know is by replacing the PSU and retesting.
Just make sure the replacement PSU is good quality, with the appropriate power on the 12V rail and the appropriate connections!

It really pays, to pay more for your PSU. Either way, I hope you get it sorted my friend.
well i am replaceing the psu right niow as i type with one that gas an 8 pin too,lets seee what happens

Reactions: PC Tailor