PC crashed and Hard Drive not detected after restart

Abhi Singh

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
So this has been happening to me for over a month now, I will give you a summary of what happens with me.

There I am browsing or playing game when suddenly my PC crashes and restarts itself, when it restarts I get a BIOS message that there is no bootable drive detected please insert a cd or whatever, I then turn off the PC and tighten the wires on the Hard Drive and on the motherboard, sometimes it detects the Hard Disk right away after tightening but sometimes it does not, I have tightened every wire connected to the HDD but this problem keeps on arising week after week.

My Hard Disk is only 6 months old right now.

Build:

Seagate 1000GB Hard Disk,
Corsair 4 gb vengeance.
Corsair vs 650W
R9280x

Do have a look experts because I have been facing this problem for about a month now.

Solution
As D_Know suggested use a HDD diagnostic testing program. Since you're working with a Seagate HDD you can obtain their program from...
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

The problem you're experiencing can arise from myriad sources - virtually any defective major component in your system can be the culprit including a failing or defective HDD, bad memory (have you reseated the RAM modules in their slots?), a defective power supply, even (strangely enough) a defective graphics card or one not properly seated. The SATA cables, as well as you have heard, can be the problem.

But one of the first things you should do is to test the drive.

Actually the FIRST thing you should do is not to delay in backing up...
Hi there Abhi Singh,

This looks like a connection issue. I guess you should get different cables(SATA and power ones) and connect the drive to a different SATA port.
It will not hurt to test the drive with a brand specific testing tool as well.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Abhi Singh

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

I recently changed the Sata wire, I will try a different port soon and report here. Do enlighten me about brand specific testing tool, I've got no idea what it is.

Abhi Singh

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

Any short tutorial on how to set everything to defaults?

As D_Know suggested use a HDD diagnostic testing program. Since you're working with a Seagate HDD you can obtain their program from...
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

The problem you're experiencing can arise from myriad sources - virtually any defective major component in your system can be the culprit including a failing or defective HDD, bad memory (have you reseated the RAM modules in their slots?), a defective power supply, even (strangely enough) a defective graphics card or one not properly seated. The SATA cables, as well as you have heard, can be the problem.

But one of the first things you should do is to test the drive.

Actually the FIRST thing you should do is not to delay in backing up your data. If you haven't done so, do so as soon as possible.

Solution

Don't know what MB you have but booting into bios, you should see the option to set optimized defaults, sometimes called other names depending on the board manufacturer. Set optimized defaults then set up the memory speed and timings and anything else that needs to be set depending on you system. Then don't forget to save settings and exit.

Abhi Singh

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Okay so currently I am using the Hard Disk test program ( It is taking a while to scan my supported drives ) and will let everyone know the result.

Meanwhile, I got 3 Blue Screen of Death and each contained a different error - 1st BSOD error : System Thread Exception Not Handled ( I solved this by unistalling the graphic driver and installing it again from the amd site ), 2nd BSOD error : Page fault in nonpaged area, 3rd BSOD error : Critical process died. Is there any chance these BSOD errors are related/connected to my Hard Disk problem?

Anyways, I'll let everyone know after I do the Hard Disk test.

Abhi Singh

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Okay guys there were a bunch of Tests in the Seagate Hard Disk test software, Below are the results along with the name and description of the tests.

S.M.A.R.T check (Checks dirve self monitoring and reporting test to check drive has had not failures reported ) - Pass

Short drive self test - FAIL

Short generic ( perform a sequential short read on the drive ) - Pass

Long generic - FAIL

So my Drive failed two tests, does that mean it is a faulty drive, if it is I can get it changed because its still under warranty.

There was an option of Advanced tests and it had kinda warnings that it may erase your data and all, I will do it if this information is not sufficeint.

Jul 26, 2019
Hi I've got a similar problem on my laptop now it has been 3 months since this happened I found that one of two coolling fans is not working and I just give it a little help to start spinning ang my system recognizes the harddrive but is there a permanent solution for this? Anybody found a permanent solution yet?