Question Pc crashed and not it won't boot up

Apr 16, 2019
Was just using my PC (playing apex and had a twitch stream up) and it all of a sudden shut off. Just went black. MB LEDs stayed on but now it wont turn on again. I turn off psu switch and back on, mb leds turn on and when I press power, the power button led on my case briefly flashes as if it's about to power and I hear a brief click in the back but nothing boots up. Fans not spinning and mb q code doesnt display anything. Tried clear CMOS, reset and start buttons on MB but still nothing. My build is linked here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JzHXGG . I'm assuming this is a motherboard or cpu issue and will have to be replaced. Any insight would be helpful before I purchase a new one and rip my rig apart though. Dont have any other machines I can troubleshoot with at the moment. Thanks in advance!

The brief click you are hearing is from the PSU. Most probably it's the motherboard, the PSU or the GPU. The 1st thing to test and the easiest one is the GPU. Remove the graphics card and try to boot with the integrated iGPU. If you are able to boot then the graphics card is probably dead. Additionally before getting a new rig I think it's worth testing your system with another PSU. If another power supply is still unable to turn on the system then the motherboard (most likely) or perhaps the CPU is dead. Good luck.

Reactions: Krazycatpeekin
Apr 16, 2019
The brief click you are hearing is from the PSU. Most probably it's the motherboard, the PSU or the GPU. The 1st thing to test and the easiest one is the GPU. Remove the graphics card and try to boot with the integrated iGPU. If you are able to boot then the graphics card is probably dead. Additionally before getting a new rig I think it's worth testing your system with another PSU. If another power supply is still unable to turn on the system then the motherboard (most likely) or perhaps the CPU is dead. Good luck.
Thanks, I'll try booting without the gpu and see how that goes. I have a feeling it's the mobo or cpu since the rest of the system has power (my lighting system controller light is on as well as mobo LEDs). Really hoping I can just replace the mobo or psu as they're the cheapest parts.

CPUs usually don't die that easily unless of course you heavily overclock or overvoltage them. However a motherboard failure can sometimes kill the CPU. Therefore if your motherboard is indeed dead, you can't be 100% sure that the CPU is fine and the only way to know for sure is to either get a new motherboard or have your CPU tested at a repair/service shop. Good luck.

Apr 16, 2019
CPUs usually don't die that easily unless of course you heavily overclock or overvoltage them. However a motherboard failure can sometimes kill the CPU. Therefore if your motherboard is indeed dead, you can't be 100% sure that the CPU is fine and the only way to know for sure is to either get a new motherboard or have your CPU tested at a repair/service shop. Good luck.
Replaced the cmos battery and took out the GPU. Started right up! Thank you so much for the help! Looks like I'm upgrading to a 2070 :)

Apr 16, 2019
I guess I should ask before dropping a bunch of money on a new GPU. This does mean my GPU is done right? It's about years old and 2 months out of warranty and I just want to make sure before I spend the money.

I guess I should ask before dropping a bunch of money on a new GPU. This does mean my GPU is done right? It's about years old and 2 months out of warranty and I just want to make sure before I spend the money.

It's probably dead, but in order to be 100% certain you have to test it in another PC system. Only then you'll know for sure. Additionally you should try testing the graphics card in another motherboard PCIe slot just in case the 1st PCIe slot of your motherboard has died/failed. Good luck.

Reactions: Krazycatpeekin
Apr 16, 2019
It's probably dead, but in order to be 100% certain you have to test it in another PC system. Only then you'll know for sure. Additionally you should try testing the graphics card in another motherboard PCIe slot just in case the 1st PCIe slot of your motherboard has died/failed. Good luck.
I tried in another PCIe slot and same thing. System won't budge. I tried it again today without the power connectors from the PSU and the system boots but no signal when monitor is plugged into GPU, works fine with IGP though. The fans on the card also spin a little bit through the PCIe power while the PSU power connectors are disconnected but the card is installed. I'm going to take my card to a buddy's tomorrow to test it. Should I be worried about it potentially harming his rig though? I don't want to put a bad card in his system and mess up anything on his mobo or psu etc. I don't see why it would cause any issues but just want to make sure before i end up having to fix two rigs.

Apr 13, 2019
i had the same problem with my rx 580 and once i did some research and tested it in my friends computer (in which it worked) i figured i needed a new motherboard. when i got a new motherboard i found out that i had to disable "secure boot" in the bios setting (using the integrated graphics) and then install the GPU. after that it worked fine so i recommend to try disabling secure boot, enable legacy support and dont be afraid to test in another pc its unlikely to mess it up.

I don't think that this is a secure boot issue because it was working perfectly before regardless of that setting and this is an old graphics card.

You shouldn't be afraid to test it in another PC system since that kind of GPU failure won't do any harm to that PC. On the other hand if your graphics card or the PCIe slot had any burn damage or had visible component damage then it might be dangerous to do this kind of test. But as I said, in your case you shouldn't have any worries. Good luck.