[SOLVED] PC crashed and won't turn on after RAM changes

Apr 28, 2021
A little while ago, I finished building my PC and got it to work. I set it up exactly according to this guide, and I was on the final step, which was to download motherboard drivers, when I heard a little "plink" and everything went dark. Since then, whenever I try to turn it on all that happens is that the fans/lights turn on for half a second and then go back to not being on. The step I had done right before this (and the reason why I'm posting my question here) was putting my RAM speed up to 3200 from 2133. So, what happened, and how can I fix it?

For context, I've tried two things so far (both of which failed): taking out and putting back in the CMOS battery, and taking out and putting back in the RAM sticks. Here are my components if it helps:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600x (and stock cooler)
GPU - RTX 2070 super
PSU - SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 650W
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 2 sticks of 8 GB DDR4 3600
Mobo - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
HDD - 1TB Barracuda
Case - Phanteks Enthoo Pro (the huge one)
Monitor: Dell S2719DGF

Also, I apologize if this question is repetitive or in the wrong place, this is my first time on this website.

Solution
when I heard a little "plink"
the few times i've heard a similar sound it was usually bad news.

i would first try totally powering down and discharging all power,
removing both RAM sticks,
resetting the BIOS by clearing CMOS again,
and try each RAM stick separately in each DIMM slot one stick at a time.

if no luck,
i would then try another known functioning power supply.

you may also want to scour the motherboard or other components with a bright light to look for signs of burning or discoloration.
when I heard a little "plink"

if no luck,

you may also want to scour the motherboard or other components with a bright light to look for signs of burning or discoloration.

Solution
There are a number of things that can cause your issue.

1. Poor cabling or connections and the monitor. Check to eliminate the possible cause.

2. A RAM mismatch, List the RAM p/n ?

3. Motherboard RAM slots. Test using just one module in the slot meant for single channel mode and try switching modules. DIMMA2 is single channel.

4. What Bios are you on? If not up to date then download latest 7C02v3A and update using a USB and the rear IO panel for Flashback. Not the beta version. Follow instructions as per page 41 in your manual and don't forget to rename the file to MSI.ROM
The Bios file must be on an empty FAT32 formatted single partition USB

Last edited:
...Poor cabling or connections and the monitor. Check to eliminate the possible cause
display cables being faulty or improperly connected cannot keep your entire system from powering on.
this would only lead to display corruption, no signal messages, or other display issues.
...What Bios are you on? If not up to date then download latest 7C02v3A and update using a USB and the rear IO panel for Flashback.
first the OP needs to be able to actually startup their system.

Apr 28, 2021

if no luck,

So, I tried one RAM stick in the first slot and it didn't work. I'm planning on going through all the other combinations later, but I noticed my keyboard stayed lit up even after the plink sound. Does this change anything? Also, sorry that I'm replying so late, it's been a busy few weeks.