PC crashed today. Probable MB failure?

AdwI

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
Hi folks,

Today morning, my PC stopped working. It won't boot. There was no electric outage in my house the night before for my alarm'clock, which has no battery, has not been reset.

Background: I moved in a new house about a week ago, but I was very careful handling the PC when moving. It worked fine for 5/6 days.

WHAT HAPPENS:
I boot the PC, it boots for about one second and shuts down. The CPU, case and graphics card fans are winding up shortly and going off as well. 1 single, short beep... beeps.

On the motherboard, close to the 4 RAM memory racks, 4 LED lights, which are called "Phase LED", light up as follows:

DD1: green
DD2: green
DD3: orange
DD4: red

I have tried to move around of the ram memories in their racks, from 2x2, to 1x1, to 1x0 to 2x0 all to no avail...

Would anyone know how to interpret the lights signal and beep signal correctly?

Found this tread (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/291849-30-gigabyte-e7aum-ds2h-boot-phase-lights) which seems to be a similar issue, but I do not really know what to do.... I'm afraid I cannot test the voltage whatsoever.

My CFG:

MOTHERBOARD:
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 (z68)

CPU:
Core I7 Quad 4/8 2600 3,4 Ghz

GRAPHICS:
PCI MSI nVidia GTX570 1280Mo

HARD DRIVES:
OS-drive: SSD Corsair Sata3 120 Go Force3
Storage Drive: SATA3 2 To Seagate 64Mo

CD/DVD:
LG GH22NS70 GrDVD 22x SATA Noir

Case:
Advance X11 no.alim

PSU:
LC-Power 500w PFC Active 12cm with Adaptator Molex-Sata

WIFI STICK: USB 150n TP-Link WiFi

Thank you very much for your help...

AdwI

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
Hi Tradesman1,

Could you please explain what "resetting the CMOS" mean and how to perform this (user manual not available I'm afraid, or I'd have to DL an electronic copy somehow, maybe...)?
I will try setting RAM sticks in slots 1-3 tomorrow evening.
As regards to power connectors, I have tried the 2 cables that I have (PSU to CD, DD1 and DD2, including in different orders).

Thank you.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Sure, actually without the manual, we can just do it the easy way...unplug the system, open up the case so you can see the mobo and look for the mobo battery, generally if looking from the back of the case it's towarards the middle of the case and would be to your right, near or around the add on card slots (opposite side from the CPU side). The battery itself generally looks like a silver coin and is held in by a coule of squeeze clips )though there a few types of clips).. just pop it out gently (a small flat screwdriver (like for eyeglasses works well), leave it out for about 20 seconds and then reinstall making sure the correct side is down. Then plug it in and give it a shot and let us know

AdwI

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
Hello,

I have reset the CMOS. I removed the battery for 24 hours. It did not change anything.
The symptoms are exactly the same than before now. Same PHASE lights colours.

Could anyone advise what to do next? Thanks a lot.

AdwI

TRENDING THREADS