Question PC crashed while gaming and now it won't start ?

Dec 24, 2023
Specs:
Motherboard: Asus H61M-K
CPU: Xeon E3-1230 V2
GPU: EVGA GTX 1050 Ti
RAM: 10GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair CP-9020170-UK 450W
SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 500GB

So I was playing a fairly non-intensive, Indie game (Venba) and out of nowhere the whole system froze and crashed. After this, the PC won't display anything, even though the monitor is on and functional (I tested it with my work laptop).

The GPU fan was running last night (alongwith CPU and PSU fans), but now it doesn't and additionally, I hear 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps, which I guess points to a GPU problem. But I don't know how the GPU was working (fans were spinning and there was a display, although it was blank) last night even after the crash, but doesn't today.

Note: GPU was overclocked at the time of crash.

Things I have tried:

• Removed the RAMs and tested them one-by-one
  • Re-seated the GPU
  • Checked the GPU fan (it works when plugged into the channel fan pin)
  • Reset BIOS by removing CMOS battery and cleared RTC RAM using the jumper

Would appreciate any help understanding what the issue is.

Dec 24, 2023
Update: After removing and re-installing the GPU, the fan is spinning now, but the display's still blank (the monitor's lit, but it's not totally black). I also heard the single beep which I guess means it POSTed successfully, but the lack of display signal is puzzling.

Ctrl + Alt + Del also successfully restarts the PC now btw.

Hi you know the 10GB DDR3 ram just wondering how many ram sticks you have in your computer but maybe you could try leaving one ram stick in to see if it will display? Thinking because your motherboard only has two slots that you mixed the ram maybe that making issues with the computer

Dec 24, 2023
Hi you know the 10GB DDR3 ram just wondering how many ram sticks you have in your computer but maybe you could try leaving one ram stick in to see if it will display? Thinking because your motherboard only has two slots that you mixed the ram maybe that making issues with the computer
I have a 2GB and an 8GB RAM module. I already tried POSTing with them individually (so once with the 2GB module, once with the 8GB module and once without any RAM) but the result was the same; 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023
Welp I just tried booting up with my old i3-3220's onboard graphics and it booted up just fine, so I guess the GPU croaked 😔

futureman 101

Prominent
Jun 18, 2023
Welp I just tried booting up with my old i3-3220's onboard graphics and it booted up just fine, so I guess the GPU croaked 😔
I went through a similar problem recently and after trying all the fixes decided it was my GPU.
Each time it froze or crashed I ran the Reliability monitor, looked up the error and applied a fix.

Out of interest were you running Precision X with the Evga. I know that can cause problems.
It's probably a good idea to put your card back to default and see if the overclocking was a problem.

Dec 24, 2023
I went through a similar problem recently and after trying all the fixes decided it was my GPU.
Each time it froze or crashed I ran the Reliability monitor, looked up the error and applied a fix.

Out of interest were you running Precision X with the Evga. I know that can cause problems.
It's probably a good idea to put your card back to default and see if the overclocking was a problem.
No I was using MSI Afterburner and I was overclocking like a <Mod Edit> baboon too so it's totally my fault.

And I can't put the card back to default since the whole PC won't boot with the GPU in it haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

futureman 101

Prominent
Jun 18, 2023
That sounds like a problem. You could boot it using the i3, remove the Afterburner software.
I'm not sure but could you then switch off PC add the 1050 as 2nd card and restore to defaults in Nvidia control panel.
My PC was driving me crazy, but just removed anything that could cause problem. Was about to strip GPU and clean it and repaste(even planning new build), but so far it's okay after a week.

There are a number of other things you can try.

Dec 24, 2023
Yea I guess I can try that, but honestly the fact that it booted fine with the GPU they used at the store makes me think my GPU is actually gone.

Also, I did disassemble my GPU to test out the fan (connected it to the Channel fan header on my motherboard) and it was working fine. Didn't repaste since I had already done that back in August.