[SOLVED] PC crashes after exiting the bios

fletcheyp

Commendable
Jan 29, 2018
Computer posts and Bios runs well, detects my CPU and memory and temperatures are normal when I save and exit and load my bootable USB for Windows the windows logo shows for 5 seconds or it loads to the install screen for a few seconds then the display goes black and it shows the motherboard logo again without powering down.

I have tried booting with a Linux cd but the same thing happened

I have tried reseating memory to each slot and with new memory

I have tried with another graphics card

I have tried with a different power supply

I have tried a new motherboard

When I short the power pins the CPU, VGA, DRAM and boot led turn on then off one at a time when the motherboard logo shows up they all turn off
While in the bios only the boot LED is on

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 (stock cooler for now but temps are fine)
Gigabyte B450 aorus elite
(Bios ver. F51)
Asus strix GeForce gtx 1080ti
2x8GB hyperX fury ddr4 2133MHz
EVGA supernova 750 G2 80plus gold

Thanks for your advice

Solution
Since you've tried a new board and memory as well as a different psu and gpu it pretty much narrows it down to either your boot media or whatever drive you're trying to install to.

Are you trying to install to an SSD or regular HHD ?

If you have more than one drive connected remove any extras...leave just the C:/ drive connected...if you're using a 2.5inch SATA drive try a different SATA cable.

If you're using an m.2 drive make sure you're using the right port...NVME and SATA M.2 drives are not always interchangeable between ports...verify you're in the right M.2 slot for the type of drive you have.
Computer posts and Bios runs well, detects my CPU and memory and temperatures are normal when I save and exit and load my bootable USB for Windows the windows logo shows for 5 seconds or it loads to the install screen for a few seconds then the display goes black and it shows the motherboard logo again without powering down.

I have tried booting with a Linux cd but the same thing happened
Did you make sure to select UEFI or Legacy boot when picking a boot option per device you tried that is bootable? A Windows 10 installer made with media creation tool should be UEFI boot and Windows 7 should be legacy (though not always). The Linux CD may require legacy boot. UEFI boot options are labeled as UEFI in boot priority.

Last edited:
"While in the bios only the boot LED is on "

The board is telling you whats wrong....it's not detecting bootable media. Make sure to use the Microsoft media tool to create the USB ISO.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

Make sure you've selected the correct boot order in the BIOS so the USB media is 1st in line...in fact it would be wise to simply disable ALL other boot options, leaving only the USB device you need, while installing Windows.

After Windows is installed you can reenter the BIOS and enable the hard drive you used for Windows as your 1st boot option...I usually leave everything else disabled so the system wont waste time scanning other devices during boot.

fletcheyp

Commendable
Jan 29, 2018
"While in the bios only the boot LED is on "

The board is telling you whats wrong....it's not detecting bootable media. Make sure to use the Microsoft media tool to create the USB ISO.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

Make sure you've selected the correct boot order in the BIOS so the USB media is 1st in line...in fact it would be wise to simply disable ALL other boot options, leaving only the USB device you need, while installing Windows.

After Windows is installed you can reenter the BIOS and enable the hard drive you used for Windows as your 1st boot option...I usually leave everything else disabled so the system wont waste time scanning other devices during boot.
I remade my boot device, same thing happened loads for a few seconds then crashes

Since you've tried a new board and memory as well as a different psu and gpu it pretty much narrows it down to either your boot media or whatever drive you're trying to install to.

Are you trying to install to an SSD or regular HHD ?

If you have more than one drive connected remove any extras...leave just the C:/ drive connected...if you're using a 2.5inch SATA drive try a different SATA cable.

If you're using an m.2 drive make sure you're using the right port...NVME and SATA M.2 drives are not always interchangeable between ports...verify you're in the right M.2 slot for the type of drive you have.

Solution