Question PC crashes after ram upgrade and shows only 8gb

Alyes_

Honorable
May 1, 2016
hello
so my friend has an asus H110M-K + i5 6500 and an 8gb ram Hyperx Fury 2133mhz cl14 ddr4, he decided to upgrade to 16gb so he bought an extra 8gb ram fury beast 2666mhz cl16
after the upgrade he run it for the first day just fine and came back later to find out that his PC is crashed and after a reboot only the old stick in Slot A is detected and he got an overclocking failed error, but after entering the bios the new Ram worked again and he was able to play some games for a day but he got the same issue after he rebooted his PC later and every time he enters the bios the second ram works again for a while
things we tried but non worked:
  • turning xmp profile on and off and rising the timings and lowering the rams speed to 2133mhz and even 2000mhz
  • doing a bios reset and updating it to the latest version even replacing the cmos battery
  • trying the sticks separately on both slots (they worked fine on slot A but both crashed on slot B at some point)
  • cleaning the ram slot
  • scanning with memetest64 and windows memory diagnostic tool ( no errors)
so far we tried every troubleshooting we know
any suggestions or solution? thanks in advance

Hey there,

Probably everyone who replies your post, will say the same thing.

Mixing and matching ram modules with different speeds, is a recipe for disaster. They are simply not guaranteed to work together.

'Sometimes' they will work but at the lowest speed of the slowest DIMM.

Use memtest86+ and run a diagnostic outside of Windows on both DIMMs, one at a time. See if it throws up any errors.

Chances are one or both DIMMs might be defective.

Edit: I'm presuming you are running Windows 64 bit OS?

Reactions: Alyes_

Alyes_

Honorable
May 1, 2016
Hey there,

Probably everyone who replies your post, will say the same thing.

Mixing and matching ram modules with different speeds, is a recipe for disaster. They are simply not guaranteed to work together.

'Sometimes' they will work but at the lowest speed of the slowest DIMM.

Use memtest86+ and run a diagnostic outside of Windows on both DIMMs, one at a time. See if it throws up any errors.

Chances are one or both DIMMs might be defective.

Edit: I'm presuming you are running Windows 64 bit OS?
yeah the config is running on windows 10 64 bit and we tested both sticks separately on channel A both worked fine but they give the same issue when installed on channel B

TRENDING THREADS