Question PC crashes after stable stress test

Chimforce

Reputable
May 9, 2014
After overclocking my 9700k to 5ghz at 1.370v, I did a stress test with intel burn test at the "very high" for 10 rounds, it passed it with no problem, but then it just keeps crashing randomly after playing games for multiple hours? What may be the issue here? I read that 5ghz should be fairly easy to achieve, so I assume its not my chip that's the problem. Ive also tried raising the voltage up to 1.390v. my motherboard is MSI z390 A-pro and ram is gskill ripjaws 3200mhz. I'm using the default XMP on the mobo for my ram.

Liborio

Honorable
Apr 2, 2016
I have the same issue :( Check out my thread, it may help you and give you some ideas but still unresolved for me.
My PC specs are:
CPU - Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
MOBO - ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
RAM - G Skill RipJaws V 16GB DDR4
GPU - MSI 980Ti Sea Hawk Edition
PSU - Seasonic 850W 80PlusBronze ATX

Randomly freezes and have to force restart. I'm pretty much down to faulty hardware & possibly thinking MOBO, PSU or unlikely CPU.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
I'd run occt medium data set at least 12 hrs on the system to see if it finds anything. If there's a problem with the ram or the cpu it should find it. Just doing one type of stress test on the cpu when overclocking both cpu and RAM is just not good enough to confirm if the system is stable or not. Personally I doubt that your cpu OC is the problem as that is a lot of voltage you're pushing to that chip for that level OC.

Reactions: rigg42