Question PC crashes after turning on XMP

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
specs: R5 3600
RX 5500XT
2X8GB TRIDENT Z 3200MHZ CL14 code: F4-3200C14D-16GTZ (the gray and red sticks) you can search the code on g. skill's site to find them
MSI B450 PRO CARBON MAX WIFI
CORSAIR RM650X 80+ GOLD

Just build my pc, worked perfectly for 2 days of gaming and testing, then i remembered i didn't set my ram to the actual 3200mhz frequency so I went into bios and turned on XMP after which my pc started doing random reboots( image gets stuck for 5sec followed by a blackscreen and reboot) i tried turned xmp off and it still does this i even tried reseting the bios settings to default

Last edited:

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
specs: R5 3600
RX 5500XT
2X8GB TRIDENT Z 3200MHZ CL14 code: F4-3200C14D-16GTZ (the gray and red sticks) you can search the code on g. skill's site to find them
MSI B450 PRO CARBON MAX WIFI
CORSAIR RM650X 80+ GOLD

Just build my pc, worked perfectly for 2 days of gaming and testing, then i remembered i didn't set my ram to the actual 3200mhz frequency so I went into bios and turned on XMP after which my pc started doing random reboots( image gets stuck for 5sec followed by a blackscreen and reboot) i tried turned xmp off and it still does this i even tried reseting the bios settings to default
UPDATE : Seems XMP settings are pretty buggy, in my bios XMP has 2 profile i had set it on the second when the crashes happened, even though i disabled XMP the crashes continued but i noticed with xmp disabled ram ran on cl15 by auto but my ram is cl14 so i though that may be a problem i dont know, but ive set it XMP profile one now which is basically CL14 3200mhz and seems to work stable no crashes for 4hours. Ive also read a possible fix would be setting it to XMP but instead of auto have everything switched to manual and just copy the values that are already there from the auto settings only as a manual input.

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
UPDATE : Seems XMP settings are pretty buggy, in my bios XMP has 2 profiles(but theyre identical to me like both are 3200mhz cl14 i might be wrong not sure) i had set it on the second when the crashes happened, even though i disabled XMP the crashes continued but i noticed with xmp disabled ram ran on cl15 by auto but my ram is cl14 so i though that may be a problem i dont know, but ive set it XMP profile one now which is basically CL14 3200mhz and seems to work stable no crashes for 4hours. Ive also read a possible fix would be setting it to XMP but instead of auto have everything switched to manual and just copy the values that are already there from the auto settings only as a manual input, havent tried that because it didint crash me again thankfully, just thought of leaving it here in case anyone has the same problem as me.