[SOLVED] PC crashes and reboots whenever I open a game.

oAlp

Commendable
May 25, 2021
Please don't spam the forum keep it to 1 thread
The title pretty much sums it all up. I have had this problem for a while now. I play games like Valorant, Rocket League, Minecraft and Hearts of Iron 4. And on every one of these games I had at least one crash. I don't know why this happens. Here are the things I did:
  • Checked the temps. Nothing unusual, normal temps.
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the games. Nothing changed.
  • Suspected that my RAM could be the issue. Ran memtest86, everything was fine.
  • I formatted my computer because I couldn't find the solution. The issue went away for a few days, but came back.
  • Updated Windows.
  • Updated Nvidia Drivers
Here are my PC components:

Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super OC
Gigabyte B450m s2h
Corsair LPX 3000MHz 2x8GB RAM
Xioxia Exceria M.2 SSD
POWER BOOST VK-P06B 550W Mid Case

I attached a video of a crash happening. This doesn't always happen right after I open a game. Most of the time it happens as I am playing the game. But every time first the sound goes away and the screen freezes. And then I get a black screen, sometimes BSOD for a split second before.
I don't do any overclocking. I have had this computer for approximately 10 Months. https://youtu.be/sn1eW60wI3Y

Last edited:
Solution
I don't have any other PSU to try and I don't want to go to a computer store because of the pandemic. Is there some kind of test to see if the PSU is the issue?
Download and run HWInfo.
The voltages of the PSU reported by the motherboard are in the motherboard section.
You are looking for +12, +5 and + 3.3.
You want them to stay within 5% of these values at all times.
HWInfo lets you log these values to a file right up to a crash if you want so you can look at it after.
You may even see bad voltage values before it crashes.

oAlp

Commendable
May 25, 2021
The title pretty much sums it all up. I have had this problem for a while now. I play games like Valorant, Rocket League, Minecraft and Hearts of Iron 4. And on every one of these games I had at least one crash. I don't know why this happens. Here are the things I did:
  • Checked the temps. Nothing unusual, normal temps.
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the games. Nothing changed.
  • Suspected that my RAM could be the issue. Ran memtest86, everything was fine.
  • I formatted my computer because I couldn't find the solution. The issue went away for a few days, but came back.
  • Updated Windows.
  • Updated Nvidia Drivers
Here are my PC components:

Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super OC
Gigabyte B450m s2h
Corsair LPX 3000MHz 2x8GB RAM
Xioxia Exceria M.2 SSD
POWER BOOST VK-P06B 550W Mid Case

I attached 2 videos of a crash happening and a heaven benchmark test ( at the and of which my PC crashes ) This doesn't always happen right after I open a game. Most of the time it happens as I am playing the game. But every time first the sound goes away and the screen freezes. And then I get a black screen, sometimes BSOD for a split second before.
I don't do any overclocking. I have had this computer for approximately 10 Months.
Heaven Benchmark Test ( FPS is always between 120-250 and the highest temp is 83 )
Crash

oAlp

Commendable
May 25, 2021
I don't have any other PSU to try and I don't want to go to a computer store because of the pandemic. Is there some kind of test to see if the PSU is the issue?

Download and run HWInfo.
The voltages of the PSU reported by the motherboard are in the motherboard section.
HWInfo lets you log these values to a file right up to a crash if you want so you can look at it after.

Reactions: oAlp
Solution

oAlp

Commendable
May 25, 2021
Download and run HWInfo.
Thanks for all the help man. I just finished a Heaven Benchmark Test while monitoring the values you told me. The values were mostly under 5%. I can send you the detailed excel sheet if you want but here are the minimum, maximum and the average values:
I believe this means that i need a new power supply?
MinimumMaximumAverage
+3.3V2.909V3.225V3.031V
+12V11.808V12.456V11.977V
+5V4.530V4.770V4.651V

Thanks for all the help man. I just finished a Heaven Benchmark Test while monitoring the values you told me. The values were mostly under 5%. I can send you the detailed excel sheet if you want but here are the minimum, maximum and the average values:
I believe this means that i need a new power supply?
MinimumMaximumAverage
+3.3V2.909V3.225V3.031V
+12V11.808V12.456V11.977V
+5V4.530V4.770V4.651V
"I believe this means that i need a new power supply?"

Yep. You got it.

Both the 5V and 3.3V are out of spec.

The 5V shouldn't go below 4.75.
the 3.3V shouldn't go below 3.13.

Now you know what the problem is.

TRENDING THREADS