Question PC crashes at slight load

Aug 30, 2022
Hey Everyone,

I've had this issue for a while now and tried everything I can think of. Whenever my PC is under even slight stress it will eventually crash, so far this has only happened whilst gaming but has happened in lots of different games. Different games take different lengths of time to crash. (Civ V ~ 1.5Hours, Rocket League ~ 45mins, Rainbow Siege ~ 20mins etc) The PC crashes and it won't turn back on unless I fully power off the PSU at the back using the switch, fully cutting power from the system, it also has to be left off for a short period, if I try turning it back on too soon it'll power up for about a second before crashing again. This originally caused me to think it was an overheating issue as I thought maybe it needed to cool down but I've ruled this out.
Event Viewer shows a Kernal-Power 41 Error (Cat 63).

Troubleshooting I've tried so far:
Driver Updates (Also uninstalled and reinstalled them)
Turning fans to max
Replacing thermal paste on CPU
Benchmarked GPU using Furmark and no issues
Used a different extension cable
Prime95 stress test of CPU crashed it once, but worked fine 3 other times so may have just been a coincidence
Probably done some other things as well but I can't remember exactly what as the issue has persisted for so long

Currently, I'm thinking it's either a CPU or PSU issue but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 3.65Ghz
GPU: Geforce GTX 1080 (Gigabyte Windforce)
Mobo: Asus Prime X-370 Pro
PSU: EVGA BQ 650W 80+ Bronze
RAM: 32GB
Storage: KingDian 240GB SSD
SanDisk 480GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD

Hey Everyone,

I've had this issue for a while now and tried everything I can think of. Whenever my PC is under even slight stress it will eventually crash, so far this has only happened whilst gaming but has happened in lots of different games. Different games take different lengths of time to crash. (Civ V ~ 1.5Hours, Rocket League ~ 45mins, Rainbow Siege ~ 20mins etc) The PC crashes and it won't turn back on unless I fully power off the PSU at the back using the switch, fully cutting power from the system, it also has to be left off for a short period, if I try turning it back on too soon it'll power up for about a second before crashing again. This originally caused me to think it was an overheating issue as I thought maybe it needed to cool down but I've ruled this out.
Event Viewer shows a Kernal-Power 41 Error (Cat 63).

Troubleshooting I've tried so far:
Driver Updates (Also uninstalled and reinstalled them)
Turning fans to max
Replacing thermal paste on CPU
Benchmarked GPU using Furmark and no issues
Used a different extension cable
Prime95 stress test of CPU crashed it once, but worked fine 3 other times so may have just been a coincidence
Probably done some other things as well but I can't remember exactly what as the issue has persisted for so long

Currently, I'm thinking it's either a CPU or PSU issue but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 3.65Ghz
GPU: Geforce GTX 1080 (Gigabyte Windforce)
Mobo: Asus Prime X-370 Pro
PSU: EVGA BQ 650W 80+ Bronze
RAM: 32GB
Storage: KingDian 240GB SSD
SanDisk 480GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD
Have you tried running occt power cycle see if your computer restarts using this generally if this causes crashes doing power stress test constantly it's the psu

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Crucial Ballistix RAM DDR4, just checked and for some reason, it seems to be running at 1200mhz instead of 2400 (Will sort that now)
and I can test with a different GPU but not for a few days

1200 is the right speed in CPU-z, it's DDR, so double data rate, means 1200 x 2=2400mhz.

I suspect it's your PSU. It's not great. Whilst most of the time a PSU reset might be at load, they can often be at a moderate load too and almost randomly.

Can you show the CPU-z mem and spd tabs. You can test your ram outside of windows with memtest86+, run it for default 4 passes and see if it throws yo any errors.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Aug 30, 2022
1200 is the right speed in CPU-z, it's DDR, so double data rate, means 1200 x 2=2400mhz.

I suspect it's your PSU. It's not great. Whilst most of the time a PSU reset might be at load, they can often be at a moderate load too and almost randomly.

Can you show the CPU-z mem and spd tabs. You can test your ram outside of windows with memtest86+, run it for default 4 passes and see if it throws yo any errors.
memtest ran fine.
CPU-Z tabs shown below
unknown.png
unknown.png

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at this too.

Other thing, saw that the ram is four sticks where the partnr suggests it is a 2x8gb kit so you mixed kits. Might be good to take one kit out and test with the one remaining in the system.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead