Question PC crashes (bluescreen no text) during gaming

Jul 22, 2019
Hello all,

my PC crashes randomly when I play a game (its a DirectX 12 game).
Sometimes I can play 5h without crash, and sometimes it crashes every 30mins.
During gaming the PC crashes, either into bluescreen without text or into just grey screen.
Then the PC tries to reboot, and is not able to (its hanging in an kind of reboot-loop, and is stucked). So I need to hard-reset it via the power button.

I checked the temperatures during gaming:

GPU goes up to 60-75°C
CPU goes to 50°C

My system:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700x
GPU: AMD Vega 56
SSD: M2 SSD Samsung EVO 960
Motherboard: Gigabyte K7 gaming X370
Cooling: NZXT X62 cooling
PSU: bequiet Dark power pro 650W
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz

No overclocking. Newest drivers, newest windows, newest BIOS.
I am really almost frustrated, because I cant figure out the problem.

I discovered also issues during rendering of videos. I was only able to render videos to a filesize of 5GB, anything more and it crashes.
But here it crashes differently, its then a bluescreen with error message (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT)

I did the ram check by windows, no errors found.

I hope you can help me.

Best regards

Fab

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Sounds like bad VRAM, maybe look for a VRAM test. You can also try another GPU if you have one.

I'd also recommend getting a VRAM graph to see if you crash using a certain amount.

If it's the VRAM use warranty if you have it.

Jul 22, 2019
I did a test with a program "video memory testing tool", but it did not show an error. But I think it also consumed only 3GB of VRAM.

You have some help for me?

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
I did a test with a program "video memory testing tool", but it did not show an error. But I think it also consumed only 3GB of VRAM.

You have some help for me?
Yeah monitor it with a program I think MSI Afterburner has a vram graph. See if it crashes when playing games. The test only using 3 GB sounds weird, where did you buy it and what brand? maybe you got scammed. Also check if the performance is similar to other peoples since you might have been given the wrong GPU.

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
I just logged all my hardware with MSI afterburner. I played for 3h roughly, then it crashed.

Here is my full report with all the data's and graphs before the crash:
https://www.file-upload.net/download-13671461/HardwareMonitoring.hml.html

anything suspicious?

Here as pictures:
View: http://imgur.com/a/vanOQNp
The only thing is that it's using almost exactly 3/8 GB which matches the test, if you crank up the resolution I assume it stays the same.

Unfortunately, you probably got scammed, where did you buy it? and if you can get a refund or warranty use it.

If you can't, according to my conclusion you should get a new GPU.

If you really want to find out if it's fake or want to fix it there are tutorials. In short, you have to dismantle it and check the GPU chip and if it's incorrect flash bios.

Tutorial, it also has the same crash reason:
View: https://youtu.be/Ra0T0j5KoAc

Last edited: