[SOLVED] PC crashes but stays on

Jul 8, 2020
For a few months now my PC has randomly start crashing (but it used to be rare)

The monitor loses signal, mouse and keyboard stops working but the fans and LED's stay just fine. The only thing i can do is push the power button to restart the PC.

It used to happen once a week maybe while playing games (Valorant, Dota, CSGO), but recently i have started playing FarCry 5 (which is more demanding than the games i usually play, but still, i get a stable 60fps on it) and it crashes like once every 20min (tried turning down the video settings but didn't seem to help that much).

PC Specs:

MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 5 2600x
Radeon RX 570
2x 8GB G.Skill RAM
Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze

I also have a 250GB Samsung SSD which is full (only 100mb-1gb left), and thus, all my games are installed on an external Samsung HD but i don't think that would cause this problem in specific.

I've monitored all the parts while playing FarCry using MSI Afterburner, but i couldn't spot any issues aside the VRAM being close to the limit of my GPU (it hovers around 3.9GB while the RX 570 has 4GB).

Could the PSU be the problem in this case? i was pretty sure a 550W would be enough to hold my build.

Solution
Is the 250 GB SSD your OS drive with only .1- 1 GB left? That is not good. (Most advise that 20% of an SSDs space be left available) I'd get a larger 500 GB Crucial MX500 for $65 or so...

mainboard latest BIOS?

Does lowering RAM speeds to 2400 or 2666 MHz help? (ANd is your RAM from a matched kit, or, just two similar sticks thrown together?)

The PSU should be enough...unless it is failing/out of spec and cannot handle instantaneous fluctuating current demands that some GPUs impose.
Is the 250 GB SSD your OS drive with only .1- 1 GB left? That is not good. (Most advise that 20% of an SSDs space be left available) I'd get a larger 500 GB Crucial MX500 for $65 or so...

mainboard latest BIOS?

Does lowering RAM speeds to 2400 or 2666 MHz help? (ANd is your RAM from a matched kit, or, just two similar sticks thrown together?)

The PSU should be enough...unless it is failing/out of spec and cannot handle instantaneous fluctuating current demands that some GPUs impose.

Solution
Jul 8, 2020
Yeah, the OS is installed on the full SSD. Im waiting for any deal on an internal HD to move some stuff and free up space.

The RAM sticks are matched indeed.

I'll try updating the bios and lowering RAM speeds then.