Question PC crashes during gameplay, reproduced during CPU stress test, different error codes ?

Jul 28, 2022
Hello All,
As a bit of preface, my PC was working fine before I moved. The PC sat in storage (by that I mean my closet, wrapped in bubblewrap, no major accidents like flooding or temperature changes), while I established my new living conditions. When I finally went to set it up, the system would turn on, but failed to display to my monitor. Taking it to a local PC repair shop, they diagnosed it was a bad PSU and a bad RAM stick, I replaced both of them (so they are about 2 weeks old at time of writing) and the PC displays to monitor. Now the problem this post is about

While gaming, or when stress testing the CPU, the computer will crash or restart (it varies) and the amount of time it takes for this to occur also varies. Below are all the PC specs, the steps I've taken and the error codes I've received. When the PC restarts, the lights dont turn off, everything freezes, the screen goes black and then it reboots. When it crashes, the whole thing shuts off and I get a BSOD once it reboots.

PC SPECS
CPU: Intel i5-9600k
Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Motherboard: ASUS TUF z390 PLUS Gaming (wifi)
GPU: EVGA 2060 SUPER
PSU: Corsair Rm750x Gold
RAM: 4X8 Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz DDR4
SSD: Samsung 860 evo 500gb
HDD: WDC WD10EADX 1TB
NVME: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
System Cooling: 5 120mm fans (3 intake, 2 exhaust)
Case: Phanteks p400a

What Games Cause the Crash/Reboot
  1. Songs of Conquest
    1. This game causes crashes/reboots the most frequently
  2. Monster Hunter Rise
    1. This causes issues about once every 2-3 hours
I have not tested any other games as of yet
Stress Test (Using OCCT)
  1. Memory Test
    1. Completed No errors
  2. GPU Test
    1. Completed No errors
  3. CPU Test
    1. Attempted twice (same settings)
      1. System restarted at 21/30 minutes on first test (CPU Max Temp: 60c)
      2. System restarted 3:11/30 minutes on second test (following day) (CPU Max Temp: 58c)
Error Codes
Windows event viewer shows the following Critical Errors
  1. They are all 41 (63) Kernel-Power, Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
  2. They have the following bug information
    1. Bugcheckcode: 156
    2. Parameter 1: 0x800000001
  3. The most recent error (from CPU Stress Test) was:
    1. 257
    2. 0x20
I have received the following BSOD codes
Machine Check Exception
Clock Watchdog Timeout

Steps I've taken
  1. Run chkdsk and sfc scannow
    1. Windows found and repaired corrupted files
  2. Checked all drivers for updates
  3. Disabled Fast Startup
  4. Cleared and re-enabled Windows update log
  5. Updated the BIOS to most recent
  6. Adjusted CPU voltage
    1. Any change from default (0.97) causes a BSOD with no display text on startup
      1. Values changed were 1.00 and 0.90 (system would not allow for 0.95 or 0.92)
  7. Disabled all OC settings
I am sorry for the long post but I want to provide as much information as possible. Thank you

Reactions: Kedi yiyen bir kedi
Jul 30, 2022
Hello All,
As a bit of preface, my PC was working fine before I moved. The PC sat in storage (by that I mean my closet, wrapped in bubblewrap, no major accidents like flooding or temperature changes), while I established my new living conditions. When I finally went to set it up, the system would turn on, but failed to display to my monitor. Taking it to a local PC repair shop, they diagnosed it was a bad PSU and a bad RAM stick, I replaced both of them (so they are about 2 weeks old at time of writing) and the PC displays to monitor. Now the problem this post is about

While gaming, or when stress testing the CPU, the computer will crash or restart (it varies) and the amount of time it takes for this to occur also varies. Below are all the PC specs, the steps I've taken and the error codes I've received. When the PC restarts, the lights dont turn off, everything freezes, the screen goes black and then it reboots. When it crashes, the whole thing shuts off and I get a BSOD once it reboots.

PC SPECS
CPU: Intel i5-9600k
Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Motherboard: ASUS TUF z390 PLUS Gaming (wifi)
GPU: EVGA 2060 SUPER
PSU: Corsair Rm750x Gold
RAM: 4X8 Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz DDR4
SSD: Samsung 860 evo 500gb
HDD: WDC WD10EADX 1TB
NVME: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
System Cooling: 5 120mm fans (3 intake, 2 exhaust)
Case: Phanteks p400a

What Games Cause the Crash/Reboot
  1. Songs of Conquest
    1. This game causes crashes/reboots the most frequently
  2. Monster Hunter Rise
    1. This causes issues about once every 2-3 hours
I have not tested any other games as of yet
Stress Test (Using OCCT)
  1. Memory Test
    1. Completed No errors
  2. GPU Test
    1. Completed No errors
  3. CPU Test
    1. Attempted twice (same settings)
      1. System restarted at 21/30 minutes on first test (CPU Max Temp: 60c)
      2. System restarted 3:11/30 minutes on second test (following day) (CPU Max Temp: 58c)
Error Codes
Windows event viewer shows the following Critical Errors
  1. They are all 41 (63) Kernel-Power, Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
  2. They have the following bug information
    1. Bugcheckcode: 156
    2. Parameter 1: 0x800000001
  3. The most recent error (from CPU Stress Test) was:
    1. 257
    2. 0x20
I have received the following BSOD codes
Machine Check Exception
Clock Watchdog Timeout

Steps I've taken
  1. Run chkdsk and sfc scannow
    1. Windows found and repaired corrupted files
  2. Checked all drivers for updates
  3. Disabled Fast Startup
  4. Cleared and re-enabled Windows update log
  5. Updated the BIOS to most recent
  6. Adjusted CPU voltage
    1. Any change from default (0.97) causes a BSOD with no display text on startup
      1. Values changed were 1.00 and 0.90 (system would not allow for 0.95 or 0.92)
  7. Disabled all OC settings
I am sorry for the long post but I want to provide as much information as possible. Thank you

Hello, did you have .dmp file for debuging?

I read all text all about your problem and your fixing attemtps. So did you tried disable XMP?

Jul 28, 2022
Hello, did you have .dmp file for debuging?

I read all text all about your problem and your fixing attemtps. So did you tried disable XMP?
If you can tell me how to find that file I will give it to you, I'm not very tech savvy

BIOS has been set to Optimized Defaults, so no XMP is enabled. I have also experienced 2 crashes just while browsing the internet, this is new. Both times Firefox had 4+ tabs open. I tried to recreate and opened 50 tabs, but no crash, even had media playing on multiple tabs.

Jul 30, 2022
If you can tell me how to find that file I will give it to you, I'm not very tech savvy

BIOS has been set to Optimized Defaults, so no XMP is enabled. I have also experienced 2 crashes just while browsing the internet, this is new. Both times Firefox had 4+ tabs open. I tried to recreate and opened 50 tabs, but no crash, even had media playing on multiple tabs.

Disable XMP.

Select CPU OC ratio otomatic all reset all OC.

I reccomizide using memtest64 cuz its checking your RAMs health.

Can you make memtest64 cant you? And please use a antivirus and scan your system.

A blue screen crashes owns multiple reason sometimes.

Jul 28, 2022
Disable XMP.

Select CPU OC ratio otomatic all reset all OC.

I reccomizide using memtest64 cuz its checking your RAMs health.

Can you make memtest64 cant you? And please use a antivirus and scan your system.

A blue screen crashes owns multiple reason sometimes.
Full and Offline Scan ran with Windows Defender, found no issues. Which is better Memtest86 or Memtest64? I have seen recommendations for both

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022
That specific BSOD was Clock Watchdog Timeout. This is the most common error message, sometimes I get Machine Check Exception
I'm gonna say this now: from everything in the post thus far, your most likely point of failure is your CPU. It may not be meeting its actual spec any longer. A temp fix would be to lower the clocks even further, since temps are not the issue you shouldn't need to undervolt either. I'd recommend forcing it down to 3.6GHz to start, and see if it continues to crash. If it does, try 3.2GHz. If that fails still, it's time for a new CPU. Beyond that clock speed, that CPU wouldn't hardly even meet the spec for the i5-9400 non-K model, and it would need replaced ASAP.