PC Crashes for No Reason Randomly or Fails on Startup Black Screen Death Sound Continues

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
1.Screen Goes Black.
PC can be 100% idle on desktop, while using the browser or just navigating.
2. If any audio plays from a video/game - the sound will still play in the background.

3. Total freeze. Monitor shows "no signal", turns off and enters standby.

4. Only option is to hold the power button long enough for hard shut-down or unplug the power cord.

Happened once: I saw a teal-blue screen with a ":(" icon saying "your pc ran into problem and need to restart..." something with 15%... then after 10 seconds it went black again and I had to force shut down.

PC also occasionally fails on startup, or after wake up from sleep:
Meaning I will turn on the PC, go back after a few minutes and it will still try to enter Windows after a few failed attempts.
Or I will wake PC from Sleep mode, it would work fine. Go to brush my teeth, go back and its black screen and frozen. Monitor will be on standby and moving the mouse or clicking doesn't turn it on.

When the screen goes black, it basically stops transmitting a signal to my monitor: since the light in the corner goes orange (standby) and it says briefly "No signal".
Clicking the mouse or keys won't work.

Nothing on my PC overheats: my GPU, CPU and Mobo all run VERY COLD between 20 to 40 degrees = which is ICE. Usually around 30c or lower. So this is NOT due to overheating.

PLEASE HELP!

I work on this PC and I have several black screen of deaths on daily basis. Also happens to me during coop online games which sucks because I lose all progress of the game! Black Screen with audio still hearable happens in games in general as well.

I REALLY REALLY NEED HELP, PC is basically half-dead and I can't fix it.

There must be an easy way to fix this.
Never had this on the older version of Windows 10 (the standard non 1511) nor on Windows 8.1.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Specs (old PC I know, it's my workstation and secondary PC for light gaming):
Windows 10 Home 64 bit version 1511.
Asus GTX 670 DC2T GPU
Intel Core2 Extreme X9650 CPU
4 GB of DDR2 RAM (G.Skill).
EVGA 780i motherboard
Thermaltake 750w PSU
1 TB Western Digital Black (WDC WD10 02FAEX-00Z3A SCSI)
Corsair RGB K70 Mechnical Keyboard, Logitech G500 mouse.

EDIT:
The crash goes like this:
1) momentarily freezes. So if I click on something nothing will happen for a few seconds.
2) Screen goes black and monitor immediately says "Entering Standby" and goes dormant.
3) Audio keeps playing for a short while in the background, then changes into a screeching long robotic sounding "eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".
4) PC reboots by itself after a while. (Sometimes it won't restart unless I force shut-down it).
5) PC takes extra time to boot back up.

Happened to me now during a game inside the menus.
:/

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Quite unfortunately NO. This is extremely frustrating. It seems the more Windows big version updates the higher the frequency of these random inexplicable total hard crashes.

I've been getting them more frequently since the big Creator's update for Windows 10.
If before I would get 1 daily, or at least once per 2 days. Now I can easily get 2-3 crashes during a work session of 6 hours+. It's completely random, and every-time it's a moment of total freeze, then a black screen then the PC will restart after like 10 seconds.
When I get the freeze and black screen I automatically hit the RESET button or PSU Power button on the back of the case - to save precious time.
Unfortunately I will lose whichever progress at work or games, and will have to reopen and set everything up, long emails I've prepared gets deleted and so on, not to mention waiting for the startup to occur.

My suspicion is that the PC + Corsair Keyboard K70 RGB + Windows 10 new updates -are culprits here. Probably some crazy incompatibility or power spikes/drops/stutter/failure. What bugs me the most is that it has NOTHING to do with performance, with demanding tasks on screen or not. It can happen when idle, gaming, heavy youtubing or browsing or when just writing some email.

PC can work and perform perfectly fine (relativity for a very old PC) then BOOM FREEZE+CRASH - and that's that.
I've solved and tackled many PC/software issues before - but this would be the first one I'm completely clueless.
I've thought about trying to replace the GPU to a different one, but I highly doubt this is the case.

Suspect it has something to do with the mobo - specifically the USB.
But it could very well the case fans doing some static causing the instability or any other small minor component....

If anyone else has any ideas - I would be more than grateful. THANK YOU!

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Thank you for the advice.
Tried Memtest many times in the past.
Tried Unplugging frontal (case) USB and Audio from motherboard - didn't help.
Tried moving my RAM to the 2 other slots - didn't help either.
Tried unplugging my DVD drive from the power and digital SATA ports (unplugging both cables) - didn't help.
Don't have another PSU so can't test that, neither do I have spare RAMs.

Strangely the last 2 actions made my PC stable all yesterday while the case was open - but this is definitely not a case of overheating as the entire PC parts according to Speccy are quite cool with low stable temperatures (motherboard being the hottest at 50c~ as we speak - but it's a hot summer day and I use no AC). So I am guessing it is either pure luck - or that opening the case - somehow removed some static/electric issue. Leading me further to suspect it may still have something to do with the fans or something, however unlikely ...

It's incredibly frustrating - I was very happy about having my PC stable for over 24-48 hours - I was going to tell you guys that moving RAM and removing the DVD fixed the issue - and JUST AS I WAS ABOUT TO WRITE THIS THE PC FROZE-BLACKED OUT AND CRASHED. SPLENDID! :pfff: Been struggling for years now.

Next up I guess I will try to change the SATA cable for the HDD - although I doubt it would help. (if I can find a spare SATA cable that is).
I don't think I have a free SATA power cable (the one that comes from the PSU - since it's not modular. But I'll check..

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

What exactly are you referring to?
How do you do that?

update: trying a different Sata cable and slots didn't help. Trying a different (strand of) power cable for the HDD now. Crashed twice more since last reported.