[SOLVED] PC Crashes in VR, Pretty Much Begging for Help at This Point

May 20, 2020
I have been trying to get help with this issue for quite a while now, and have not had much success on Reddit. I would really appreciate any pointers you may have:

I recently started playing VR, after getting my hands on a Valve Index. While in VR (usually after an hour to two hours of playtime), my pc crashes. When this happens, the screen in the headset goes black, and a long beep comes through the headphones. My monitor, during these crashes, shows the main color of my desktop background, and nothing else, before going black. My peripherals turn off, but my motherboard apparently stays on, as the LEDs remain lit, and there is an odd "cycling" sound, as if some fan (maybe the cpu fan, but I am not sure) starts spinning, stops, and starts again. The fans continue to do this until I manually reset the PC by using the power button.

This exact kind of crash only started happening when I either played VR or stress-tested my overclocks. I do not think it is very likely that it is an issue with the cpu, however, because I have since rolled back my overclocks, and am running at stock, and the crashing continues. I also ran four passes of memtest, and received no errors on my ram.
In terms of thermals, I recorded my temperatures through HWInfo for over an hour, while playing HL:Alyx. My CPU ran at around 55 degrees, and my GPU stayed below 80 degrees, usually running mid-60s to low-70s.

I am thinking that this may be an issue with my power supply, but I am at a loss. It could potentially be the cpu, but since I am running at stock, I doubt it. I have had the same power supply (EVGA 600B) for 4-5 years, so it might be that it just cannot provide enough power under high load.
I should note that I have never crashed in Blender, UE4, Reaper, Premiere, or any non-vr games. I imagine I could crash, if I played a really intensive non-vr game, or if I threw a lot of physics objects into UE4, but this has not happened.

I would really appreciate some advice on this, because I am not entirely sure what else to do.

I ran HWInfo64 during my last session of Boneworks, and had it running when my PC crashed. Here is the data from that session, if anyone wants to look through it:

DATA SPREADSHEET

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 AF
GPU: Radeon Vega 56
MOBO: Gigabyte Gaming 3 B350
RAM: 2x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 mhz
PSU: EVGA 600B
Storage: 1tb Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm.

Solution
1)Combination of gpu and psu.
Radeon Vega 56 is no slouch on power consumption - even worse if you bios flashed it to a Vega 64.
The EVGA 600B is not a top tier power supply at all - it's a low budget unit. 4-5 years? Well, power supplies degrade over time. It's inevitable.
The unit also has a 3 year warranty, which you've exceeded, by the way, so all bets are off on stability.

2)"I should note that I have never crashed in Blender, UE4, Reaper, Premiere, or any non-vr games. I imagine I could crash, if I played a really intensive non-vr game, or if I threw a lot of physics objects into UE4, but this has not happened."
I believe there is a reason for this as well.
Your main monitor for the non-VR titles is 1080p or 1440p resolution...
D

Deleted member 14196

Thermal overheating or power supply issues the power supply probably can’t supply enough power reliably

May 20, 2020
Thermal overheating or power supply issues the power supply probably can’t supply enough power reliably

Looking at my data over my last few playthroughs, I cannot find much indication that it is overheating, but I may be looking in the wrong places. Is there any good way to test the reliability of a power supply without having another PSU?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Radeon Vega 56 is no slouch on power consumption - even worse if you bios flashed it to a Vega 64.
The EVGA 600B is not a top tier power supply at all - it's a low budget unit. 4-5 years? Well, power supplies degrade over time. It's inevitable.
The unit also has a 3 year warranty, which you've exceeded, by the way, so all bets are off on stability.

2)"I should note that I have never crashed in Blender, UE4, Reaper, Premiere, or any non-vr games. I imagine I could crash, if I played a really intensive non-vr game, or if I threw a lot of physics objects into UE4, but this has not happened."
Your main monitor for the non-VR titles is 1080p or 1440p resolution, right? Well, the screens on your VR headset are much closer to that of the 4K resolution.
The non-VR titles aren't pushing the gpu - and thus, the psu - as hard as the actual VR ones, so your non-VR samples are kind of invalid.

FYI: when psu's overheat, they shut off and refuse to power on until they have cooled down.

Solution
May 20, 2020

Your main monitor for the non-VR titles is 1080p or 1440p resolution, right? Well, the screens on your VR headset are much closer to that of the 4K resolution.
The non-VR titles aren't pushing the gpu - and thus, the psu - as hard as the actual VR ones, so your non-VR samples are kind of invalid.

FYI: when psu's overheat, they shut off and refuse to power on until they have cooled down.

I really appreciate the detailed response. I actually bought a new power supply (cx 550), but decided to resell it instead, since I didn't think it was worth the $75 I paid for it. That's a really good point about the resolution. I guess, if nothing else works, I'll just have to wait for power supplies to go back down in price, but I don't imagine that will happen for at least a couple of months.

May 20, 2020
Yeah, that is kinda high. They were closer to 60USD not too long ago...
Supply is low/OOS, and some retailers are also taking advantage of the situation. Geez...

My brother got the same PSU for $40 less than a year ago. It seems to be a combination of tariffs and the virus. I'll just take it easy on my pc until I can get a new PSU. Thanks for your help. I'll mark your answer as best.