[SOLVED] PC crashes in VR - PSU broken?

Apr 6, 2020
I think i need to buy a new PSU, but before i do i wanted to make sure i don't waste my money on something i don't need.

Last week i bought a AMD 5700XT. It's working great except for in VR. Whenever i play Half Life: Alyx the pc crashes after about 20-30 minutes of playing. There's no blue screen or anything the power just goes out completely. The error happened in other game as well.

I have a six year old corsair CX 750W. While the wattage is more than enough I read on this forum that the CX line is crap. So I guess the PSU is the problem, but on the other hand i've tried replicating the issue outside of VR by playing The Outer Worlds on max graphics for about 2 hours, I've also stresstested the PC using several different programs and nothing. The temperature is acceptable.

If it's not the PSU, what could be the problem and if it is the PSU, any suggestions on what to buy?

Solution
That PSU is ancient and definitely not well suited for cards that draw a huge inrush of current like the AMD Vega or 5700 cards. So the shutoff is almost certainly from the PCIE rail tripping a protection circuit. Any modern PSU from a reputable company will work well. The OneSeasonic focus or prime series will be fine for that hardware. Just make sure you buy the newest models and not some old model from a few years ago. (check the OneSeasonic model labeling initiative). And avoid eVGA, please. Friends don't let friends buy eVGA power supplies.

Falkentyne

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
That PSU is ancient and definitely not well suited for cards that draw a huge inrush of current like the AMD Vega or 5700 cards. So the shutoff is almost certainly from the PCIE rail tripping a protection circuit. Any modern PSU from a reputable company will work well. The OneSeasonic focus or prime series will be fine for that hardware. Just make sure you buy the newest models and not some old model from a few years ago. (check the OneSeasonic model labeling initiative). And avoid eVGA, please. Friends don't let friends buy eVGA power supplies.

Solution
Apr 6, 2020
Thank you for the quick answer, i bought a seasonic focus px 850w. Maybe a bit over the top but at this point I just want to make sure it works. I'll update this thread once i've tested the psu arrives.