Question PC Crashes inconsistently

GoldSolaire

Prominent
Jun 9, 2020
For the past year, I have been getting crashes on my PC that are completely inconsistent. My computer freezes, audio still plays both of my monitors go black and audio continues to play and then the audio stops after a period of time, I then have to press the reset button on my computer or power button. My 1080 Ti has bad heating problems, and when looking in MSI afterburner, the power % can be pretty crazy, with it going to 100% in cutscenes. I decided to swap this out for my 970 to see if the crashes would stop, but it did not. Recently, ASUS Anti-Surge has triggered multiple times. I have no clue what is causing these crashes, it's definitely not the GPU as I have tried my other card. Can anyone help me?

specs:
CPU: Intel i7-4960 (not OCd)
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X79
RAM: 32GB 1333mhz
GPU: Inno3D iChiLL GTX 1080ti (not OCd)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 80+ Titanium 1000W (I understand this is overkill, but this rig was my friends and I bought it from him).

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
For the past year, I have been getting crashes on my PC that are completely inconsistent. My computer freezes, audio still plays both of my monitors go black and audio continues to play and then the audio stops after a period of time, I then have to press the reset button on my computer or power button. My 1080 Ti has bad heating problems, and when looking in MSI afterburner, the power % can be pretty crazy, with it going to 100% in cutscenes. I decided to swap this out for my 970 to see if the crashes would stop, but it did not. Recently, ASUS Anti-Surge has triggered multiple times. I have no clue what is causing these crashes, it's definitely not the GPU as I have tried my other card. Can anyone help me?

specs:
CPU: Intel i7-4960 (not OCd)
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X79
RAM: 32GB 1333mhz
GPU: Inno3D iChiLL GTX 1080ti (not OCd)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 80+ Titanium 1000W (I understand this is overkill, but this rig was my friends and I bought it from him).

Hi @GoldSolaire

When was the last time you cleaned inside your case?
How about re-pasting the CPU & GPU's heatsinks?
What bios version does your mobo have? Most current?
When was the last time you reinstalled the OS?
Have you tried taking the entire system apart, cleaning & putting it all back together?
Have you tried running your system with 8/16GB of RAM to eliminate any potential issues?

GoldSolaire

Prominent
Jun 9, 2020
Hi thanks for the reply.

When was the last time you cleaned inside your case?
I clean it about every 3 months
How about re-pasting the CPU & GPU's heatsinks?
Yes, I have replaced the CPU thermal paste once and I have replaced the GPU thermal paste twice.
What bios version does your mobo have? Most current?
I have checked the BIOS downloads for the mobo, I have the latest one apart from the beta version.
When was the last time you reinstalled the OS?
Last year.
Have you tried taking the entire system apart, cleaning & putting it all back together?
No, I haven't.
Have you tried running your system with 8/16GB of RAM to eliminate any potential issues?
Yes, I tested the RAM sticks a few months ago by removing two of them, testing those two for awhile and replacing them with the remaining two. I have also ran the windows memory test and found no issues, although I have read that the memory test is unreliable.

Latest posts