[SOLVED] PC crashes leaving GPU fans spinning at max until forced shutdown

Mar 18, 2020
Hi, this is the first time I've ever had to post for an answer that I hadn't found resolved on here already.

Currently my computer is crashing everytime time I run any game regardless of its requirements, and sometimes just moving applications between monitors or even when booting up. At first it had a random effect like brown screen of death, bright green screen, or just disconnect the monitors so I figured it was likely my 7year old or 5year old GPU.

After replacing it with a new one the problem persisted before becoming a consistent issue as described in the title.

After moving each old and new GPU around to different PCI slots on the motherboard, I had the same issue. The only time it didn't reoccur is when I removed the GPU's and only had one monitor connected directly to the mobo.

I figure it must be a power supply issue somehow with the mobo. The PSU has been fine with my two old GPU's for years so wouldn't be struggling with just one now.

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A
CPU: i5 4570
7yo GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 660
5yo GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 750Ti
New GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650
PSU: Corsair 600W 80plus bronze

Thanks for any help!

Solution
Crashing during games does seem to point at PSU, but you said it also happens when you move between monitors. Have you tried DDU to uninstall all previous drivers before putting in a new GPU? Perhaps use DDU to uninstall all Nvidia drivers without putting in your GPU (as in connect to your Mobo and use DDU to uninstall all Nvidia drivers), then put in your GPU and download the latest drivers for that GPU from the Nvidia website.

How old is your PSU?
Crashing during games does seem to point at PSU, but you said it also happens when you move between monitors. Have you tried DDU to uninstall all previous drivers before putting in a new GPU? Perhaps use DDU to uninstall all Nvidia drivers without putting in your GPU (as in connect to your Mobo and use DDU to uninstall all Nvidia drivers), then put in your GPU and download the latest drivers for that GPU from the Nvidia website.

How old is your PSU?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS