Pc crashes minutes after playing higher end video games.

Jul 6, 2018
My PC specs: Cpu: AMD x860k 3.7GHZ quad core FM2+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-HD2 AMD FM2 +
Gpu: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive
Power Supply: Corsair CP-9020097-UK VS Series ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Power Supply Unit, 550W

I've had this problem for some time now. When i decide to play some games that require more performance than the games i have no problem playing, My PC randomly crashes. When this happens, I hear a noise coming from my PC and the display is gone but the PC is still running. I try to turn it off from the power button but this doesn't work so i have to turn the power supply off to reboot the PC. When i'm browsing my cpu temps are around 70c not sure if this is too high. I've tried to reapply thermal paste, clear any dust but none of that seems to make any difference. If anyone would help that would be great! Thanks for reading!

Solution

If it were RAM failure then you would have boot-up problems where you'd have black screen once you turn on your PC and where PC fails to do the POST.

Like i said above, it's most likely your PSU issue since you have a low quality PSU (Corsair VS-series). Either your PSU can't provide enough wattage for your GPU once your start gaming or your PSU fails to keep voltage levels within reason, which are:
+12V DC rail - tolerance ±5% ; +11.40V to +12.60V
+5V DC rail - tolerance ±5% ; +4.75V to +5.25V
+3.3V DC rail - tolerance ±5% ; +3.14V to +3.47V
-12V DC...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Random reboots or shutdowns are mostly caused by 2 issues:
1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.

First check your CPU/GPU temps, both at idle and under load. If temps are within reason then it's safe to assume that it's the PSU who is acting up.

Also, do note that Corsair VS is the worst PSU offered by Corsair and it's low build quality PSU. I wouldn't use it to power even an office PC without dedicated GPU and which never sees any high loads, let alone powering a gaming PC with it with dedicated GPU in it.

Here, i'm quite sure that due to the PSU's low build quality, PSU's voltage regulation can't stay within ATX PSU standard specs of 5% on all rails (10% on -12V and -5V rails) and your PSU can't sustain stable enough voltage for your 75W GPU to run under higher load. That's why your PC crashes once you start gaming.

Only fix is to buy a new, up to the date PSU. I suggest getting any Seasonic unit, in 500W range. E.g: M12II-520 EVO, G-550, Focus 550 or Focus+ 550,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/TgW9TW,DPCwrH,bkp323,KmgzK8/

Focus and Focus+ are the newest PSU lines from Seasonic and they come with 10 years of OEM warranty. G and M12II EVO series PSUs come with 5 years of OEM warranty.
All my 3 PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.

Jul 6, 2018

Thanks for taking your time to try to help me man! I don't have the money for the item at the moment but ill surely get it in around a few weeks. At idle my cpu temps are at around 70oc and my GPU temps are at around 50oc.

70C is way too high for idle speeds for sure.

You need a better CPU cooler 1st off.

Jul 6, 2018

My mate has a spare psu would this be fine? Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600 V2 PSU

Just as bad as the VS.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Like said above, your CPU temps at idle are way too high. Also, are you sure you get accurate temp readings? Since AMD APUs and their Athlon cousins are notorious for reporting false temp readings with 3rd party software. For accurate temp reading, use AMD Overdrive,
link: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/amd-overdrive

Look out for the Thermal Margin reading. Thermal Margin is the distance left until the CPU throttles to save itself. Thermal Margin will decrease as temp increases. It's good when Thermal Margin stays in double digits at peak CPU load.

As far as MasterWatt Lite PSU goes, there are no reviews of those units and without reviews, we can't say if it is any better than Corsair VS series. Though, for a PSU which is made in 2017 and which struggles to meet 80+ white standard and doesn't come close even to 80+ Bronze standard, there is very little hope it would be any good.

Not helping, since RAM speed has nothing to do with OP's system shutdowns during gaming.

Also, just because the max supported RAM speed for Athlon X4 860K is up to 2133 Mhz, it doesn't mean OP needs his RAM running at those speeds. Performance difference in running 1600 Mhz RAM at speeds of 1333 Mhz is less than 3% in most real-world games and applications.

Jul 6, 2018

Using AMD Overdrive my cpu temps are at around 50oc on idle. Thanks for the info i was using HWMonitor before. My mate told me this could also be a ram failure. Is that possible?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

If it were RAM failure then you would have boot-up problems where you'd have black screen once you turn on your PC and where PC fails to do the POST.

Like i said above, it's most likely your PSU issue since you have a low quality PSU (Corsair VS-series). Either your PSU can't provide enough wattage for your GPU once your start gaming or your PSU fails to keep voltage levels within reason, which are:
+12V DC rail - tolerance ±5% ; +11.40V to +12.60V
+5V DC rail - tolerance ±5% ; +4.75V to +5.25V
+3.3V DC rail - tolerance ±5% ; +3.14V to +3.47V
-12V DC rail - tolerance ±10% ; -10.80V to -13.20V
+5V SB rail - tolerance ±5% ; +4.75V to +5.25V

Solution
Jul 6, 2018

Thanks for your help man I've decided to just upgrade my CPU and ram. I had to get a new motherboard as well to support the socket. I've ran into another problem would be amazing if you could help. Im not sure if its a power issue because my GPU and CPU can withstand a high load and I get a good amount of frames. Only problem is the stutter I receive every fraction of a minute.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3820146/major-frame-spikes-gpu-useage.html

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

You're welcome.

I'll join your 2nd topic with possible solutions in that matter.