Question Pc crashes ONLY when gaming but drivers didn't fix

Oct 12, 2021
My PC only crashes while playing games after I tried to undervolted my Ryzen 9 5900x so save on some thermals (college dorm).

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Ryzen 9 5900x

RTX 3090

Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master v1.1/1.2

Corsair Rmx 850w Power Supply

Bios ver. f35d (just updated to make sure that wasn't the issue)

I looked into trying to undervolt my CPU because the Ryzen 5000 chips run hot and my apartment, unfortunately, doesn't have AC, I watched a few tutorials on how to get into it and decided to try it. I only used the BIOS for testing undervolt. But I would always get crashes in games not in cinebench or 3dmark or anything until I started a game, even simple esports titles like rocket league would freeze my computer and id have to hard shutdown. I usually run HWINFO or such to keep eye on temps but I would notice they would stop responding or updating along with my case RGB fans. So since I couldn't figure out undervolting I tried to reset everything to stock in the bios, but still had the same issue with freezing only in games. So I tried updating my Bios and drivers to see if that's what I had wrong. I've don't a full DDU safe mode driver wipe and reinstall. I even tried rolling back windows to before I had the issue and it still happens. That didn't work and now I'm kind of lost and not sure what could be happening. I can still use my pc normally (word, adobe suite, or even YouTube and Netflix) but as soon as I start a game I've only got 1 to 5 min before my pc freezes and I have too hard shutdown to get back to "normal". Not even my led debug lights change.
I'm grasping at straws and have no idea what's wrong any help would be appreciated.

Oct 12, 2021
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that may have been captured just prior to or at the time of the freezes.

How old is that Corsair PSU? Heavy gaming use?

The system was built May-June all new and has worked perfectly since. I'd say average, not much during the week but a decent amount of hours on the weekend.
I took screenshots of what those programs show but IDK how to add them to help.
Sorry I'm not great at diagnosing issues very well

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021
This is what it showed me, I've also done a clean windows install and that did not fix the issue either.

I had someone say it could be the PSU but I thought a PSU crash would be like a shutdown. Mine more of freezes, last test I got halfway through a match of valorant, and my monitoring software stopped, system functions froze, but I could still play normal and finished the round. then it hard froze and didn't even get to like match summary or anything.

View: https://imgur.com/a/dYjZvvU

View: https://imgur.com/NxQRtm2

View: https://imgur.com/ceShutU

View: https://imgur.com/FP9EFhU

View: https://imgur.com/McAx1wO

Energy-Ray

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
is there any case it would be your cpu which make that problem happen?You said that you undervolted your cpu and maybe thats the reason of what is happening to your system right now!So my opinion its to test your system with default cpu settings(volts,clocks etc)

Oct 12, 2021
is there any case it would be your cpu which make that problem happen?You said that you undervolted your cpu and maybe thats the reason of what is happening to your system right now!So my opinion its to test your system with default cpu settings(volts,clocks etc)
Its been stock for the last few days, i couldn't get PBO to work so i returned it to stock and the issue still persisted.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Get Msi Afterburner - Precision X if it's an EVGA card - find the power and temperature limit sliders. Next to them should be a chain link icon of sorts.
Click it to unlink the power and temperature limit, then click on the power limit slider, drag it all the way down and click Apply.
Play games.

Oct 12, 2021
Get Msi Afterburner - Precision X if it's an EVGA card - find the power and temperature limit sliders. Next to them should be a chain link icon of sorts.
Click it to unlink the power and temperature limit, then click on the power limit slider, drag it all the way down and click Apply.
Play games.
I got a 1000w PSU and swapped it out to see if that was the problem and the issue still persisted. I'm gonna try swapping back to my old CPU and see if it still happens.
That's about my last resort though.
I can run 3D mark and Cinebench without any issues so I don't think it's my 3090FE thankfully, but if my old CPU doesn't resolve the issue IDK what it is. Like it does everything 100% fine even benchmarking, then trying to play games it commits die.

Oct 12, 2021
UPDATE

I replaced my CPU with my old one and my PC works perfectly again. I'm not sure what happened or what it was but I'm thinking it might be the CPU even though IDK how it could be. I might try switching it back just in case it was a bug but if that fails and it comes back I'm going to assume it was the CPU and figure out how to warranty it as it's only 2 months old.