Question PC crashes only with a certain monitor

jay0514

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
last night i purchased a preowned monitor MG279Q
that night i set it up and watched videos for hours and everything was fine

today i was doing some graphic work, nothing intensive, just some 2d work and some animation on program called ToomBoom Harmony
anyways, it suddenly went black,

when this happened I tried plugging out the display port and reinserting as well as switching over to a HDMI cable, turning the monitor on and off
(eventhough the screen went black due to lost signal, the monitor itself seemed fine, menu could be accessed without a problem)

I had to restart the comptuer and when I did it was working fine again

until it started happening more frequently

I was watching a video on youtube and it turned black again as someone was speaking
the audio was actually playing for 10 seconds or so before it too froze and I had to restart my comptuer once again

next few times, the monitor would lose signal as soon as i went past windows log in

I'm currently on my old 1080P monitor and there's no crash so far,

what's important to note is that I had installed the custom driver for MG279Q to change the freesync range from its defualt to
60 - 144hz

but the issue seems to be here still even after I had gone into device manager and uninstalled the monitor to delete the drivers

my PC specs are

i5 4690K
Z97-K
2X 8GB DDR3 ram (not sure about the frequency or brand)
r9 290
and an antec 620W PSU

as you can tell it's a very old system
but I cannot understand why it seems to be having this problem on this MG279Q monitor
i had even uninstalled the custom driver via device manager

any sort of help would be appreciated because I can't really use the new monitor when I'm constantly fearing when it's going to crash again

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing we need to figure is if the failure is related to hardware or software.

Have you tried to switch back to the old monitor - and how does the computer react on that ?

How long time does it normally takes until the problem occurs (like - can you watch a whole youtube video maybe)?

Did you experienced any other issues to your system before you switched monitor?

TRENDING THREADS