Question PC Crashes, Orange Light on Motherboard

Mar 26, 2023
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...
I've been having this problem for some time now. I'm almost sure the GPU is the culprit, but I want to confirm before I go and buy a new one.
When playing World of Tanks, my computer will randomly shut down. No warning, the screen just goes black and says no signal. The computer keeps running, its fans spin slowly like when it's not running anything, and there is an orange light in the top right corner of the motherboard. Pressing the physical restart button has no effect, I have to hold the power button to shut it down completely before I can restart it. Before it shuts down, some of the fans in the computer spin really fast (not momentarily, they do it for a few minutes before it crashes), and the GPU utilization graph in task manager is at a constant 100% while everything else is fine. The crash report application gives no details besides saying the computer did not shut down properly. I have this same problem while running Minecraft with high-quality shaders. The problem appears to go away if I turn down the graphics in World of Tanks. Am I correct in assuming the problem is caused because my GPU is underpowered? I would be happy to provide more details if needed.

Specs:
Radeon RX 580 Series GPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
RAM part number: F4-3000C16S-8GISB (2 sticks)
ROG Strix B450-F motherboard
Thermaltake 500W power supply

Thanks!

old versions of the realtek audio driver would crash the GPU driver.
you might check to make sure you have the new version installed.
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS USA
Realtek Audio Driver (SSIII) V6.0.1.9359 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.

you could also see if a minidump file has been created. if so, you can copy it to a cloud server, share it for public access and post a link.

sounds like a gpu using too much power (overclocking, overheating problem) hard to say without a memory dump.
Note: you can google how to force a memory dump using a keyboard.
make the registry changes then the next time it happens you force the memory dump.
I can take a look at it. it should work if the GPU hangs but windows is still running, just give it a few minutes to complete since you will not see the screen output.

sometimes with certain gpu issues you have to make a kernel dump to debug them.

most common cause for something like this is power/overclock/heat issue with a gpu.
if the realtek audio driver is the cause you see a stack overflow in the gpu driver in a crash dump.

with a power problem you generally would not get a memory dump except if you have a low quality power supply. good power supply/motherboard brand you get a black screen

RX 580 GPU185 W

gpu will get 125 w from the motherboard slot and the rest from a supplemental power connector (check the connection)
you might want a 700w-750w psu
Choosing the Best PSU for AMD's Radeon RX 580 GPU - TechReviewer

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023
old versions of the realtek audio driver would crash the GPU driver.
you might check to make sure you have the new version installed.
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS USA
Realtek Audio Driver (SSIII) V6.0.1.9359 For Windows 10/11 64-bit.

you could also see if a minidump file has been created. if so, you can copy it to a cloud server, share it for public access and post a link.

sounds like a gpu using too much power (overclocking, overheating problem) hard to say without a memory dump.
Note: you can google how to force a memory dump using a keyboard.
make the registry changes then the next time it happens you force the memory dump.
I can take a look at it. it should work if the GPU hangs but windows is still running, just give it a few minutes to complete since you will not see the screen output.

sometimes with certain gpu issues you have to make a kernel dump to debug them.

most common cause for something like this is power/overclock/heat issue with a gpu.
if the realtek audio driver is the cause you see a stack overflow in the gpu driver in a crash dump.

with a power problem you generally would not get a memory dump except if you have a low quality power supply. good power supply/motherboard brand you get a black screen

RX 580 GPU185 W

gpu will get 125 w from the motherboard slot and the rest from a supplemental power connector (check the connection)
you might want a 700w-750w psu
Choosing the Best PSU for AMD's Radeon RX 580 GPU - TechReviewer
So it turns out my audio driver was 2 versions behind, but even after updating it to version 6.0.9359.1 the problem persists. As for creating a memory dump, I couldn't find one in the SystemRoot folder. I'm not sure how I would force one to be created as the screen just goes black without warning. My impression is that a memory dump has to be created when the computer freezes up, but I'm definitely not a very skilled Windows user so I probably misunderstood what you said. I also monitored the GPU's temperature while trying to re-create the problem and it looked pretty normal (keep in mind that I wasn't constantly watching it, and I'm also not sure what "normal" is). Anyway, how can I create a memory dump?

Thanks!

So it turns out my audio driver was 2 versions behind, but even after updating it to version 6.0.9359.1 the problem persists. As for creating a memory dump, I couldn't find one in the SystemRoot folder. I'm not sure how I would force one to be created as the screen just goes black without warning. My impression is that a memory dump has to be created when the computer freezes up, but I'm definitely not a very skilled Windows user so I probably misunderstood what you said. I also monitored the GPU's temperature while trying to re-create the problem and it looked pretty normal (keep in mind that I wasn't constantly watching it, and I'm also not sure what "normal" is). Anyway, how can I create a memory dump?

Thanks!
you can google how to force windows to make a memory dump with a keyboard, make the registry changes then when the system screen goes blank, try to force the memory dump.
generally if the keyboard led light for numlock works then you can do the memory dump.

Forcing a system crash from the keyboard - Windows drivers | Microsoft Learn

I use the setting for hitting control key + scroll lock
to force a dump.

My money would be on the PSU being faulty or it cannot stand the load. These types of crash are very indicative of the PSU. If you do not have a spare PSU to test with I would recommend buying a known good model to test with. If after you install the PSU you still have the same issues just return it. Something like this will be a good PSU to replace the current one.