PC crashes randomly with blank green screen

BravoRed5

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
Usually it crashes when I'm on youtube, but only once while I'm gaming.

I've already swapped out my RAM and SSD, although it made the issue less frequent but doesnt comepletely remove the issue (from once or twice every week to once every 3 weeks or month).

If im wearing headphones with 3.5 jack, there will be an annoying sound loop. When I'm using the monitor speakers there's no sound looping when the computer crashes, weird

I've tested the GPU with furmark and long gaming sessions with no issues, memtest also doesn't show any issues, Intel cpu diagnostics all green, storages in 100% health using HD sentinel monitoring. The only components that I haven't tested is the mobo and psu, but idk how to diagnose those parts

PC Specs
Intel i5 6600K (not overclocked)
MSI Z170A PC Mate
MSI R9 380 4GB (not overclocked)
8GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz
860 EVO SSD
WDC Blue HDD
Corsair CS650M

Solution
You can get a decent PSU tester on ebay or newegg. If you are comfortable doing it, it's more accurate troubleshooting to use a good multi meter while it's running with a load on it to see it's reaction to a load and fluctuation. I have one of these as a basic tester.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE7N51144&cm_re=power_supply_tester-_-1W9-0005-00196-_-Product

If you system is over heating at times and does not have adequate cooling that could on occasion cause crashes too. Next time it happens try looking through your report logs. That may give you an idea what's happening.

dragonstar914

Proper
Jun 24, 2018
You can get a decent PSU tester on ebay or newegg. If you are comfortable doing it, it's more accurate troubleshooting to use a good multi meter while it's running with a load on it to see it's reaction to a load and fluctuation. I have one of these as a basic tester.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RE7N51144&cm_re=power_supply_tester-_-1W9-0005-00196-_-Product

If you system is over heating at times and does not have adequate cooling that could on occasion cause crashes too. Next time it happens try looking through your report logs. That may give you an idea what's happening.

Solution

BravoRed5

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016

Ok, I'll try and get my PSU tested by a technician. How can I view my report logs though? The only way I can check is by event viewer, the only thing critical in the past 24 hours is an Event ID 41 Kernel-Power, but I think that's because I held the power button down so I can restart the pc cause' of the crash.