Question PC Crashes regularly whether in Windows 11 or Linux.

Jul 16, 2022
I cant get my desktop to run stable - it crashes within minutes. Tried using Linux instead of Windows 11 but it still crashes. Memtest 86 shows no errors with all drives disconnected, but if I run Memtest with any SATA drive connected, I get errors. Has anyone met this before? I have tried 2 different motherboards, 2 graphics cards, replaced RAM with new sticks, tried a different psu. Nothing solves the problem. Any thoughts?

Jul 16, 2022
Motherboard is MPG X570.
CPU is Ryzen 7 3800X.
PSU is Artic Blue 750/850W.
Tried different SATA cables
Bios is latest version from MSI
Have a fresh Linux disc, and a newly updated Windows disc. With either connected, I get the same random shutdowns.

Jul 16, 2022
I tested it with my old psu which was a CIT 500CB and got the same shutdown issue, even without loading the system. My old psu ran for 7 years without a hitch, so although is is undersized, it should be stable. I even tried different mains leads.

Yes, I ran Linux with all HDD and SSD disconnected. Still had the shutdown problems. Didn't auto-restart, which is what Windows does.
Tough to keep up with all the swapping you have done.

Perhaps go to a working pc and put a copy of linux on a flash stick.
Boot the stick and make sure it functions.

Take the stick back to the problem pc.
Unplug all disk and disc.
One stick of ram in the proper slot.....xmp off.
Boot the flash stick and test.

Jul 16, 2022
A friend showed me how to boot into Ubuntu via a usb stick. It showed errors on the cpu. Last thing I would have suspected. AMD agreed an RMA and I now have a replacement cpu. Ongrats to Egda23 who sussed it! Also thanks to Bob.B.

Reactions: egda23