Question PC crashes regularly

SerialSniper14

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I don't get a blue screen, just crash and instant reboot. Running Windows 7 and did a full malware/AV scan with no threats found.

Is there a way to pinpoint what the problem is? Here's a Limited Crash Log from Event Viewer with the crash presumably at 11:27:16 and the next log at 11:28:09.

I replaced my power supply and HDD to SDD about 6 months ago. Let me know what other information I can provide.

SerialSniper14

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz 62 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Gateway FX6860 (CPU 1) 59 °C

Graphics
SMB2270HD (1280x720@60Hz)
S27E330 (1920x1080@60Hz)
S27E330 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte) 68 °C

Storage
1863GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB (SATA (SSD)) 38 °C
465GB SanDisk Extreme SSD USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) 36 °C

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH60N
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom

Device
AXURM 4DY7CLY SCSI CdRom Device

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

SerialSniper14

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Please post your entire system specification including PSU make and model.
Does the issue still occur in safe mode?
I haven't tried safe mode because I never know when it's going to happen. I'm usually playing a game when it does. Sometimes it's every other hour, once it crashed 5 minutes after rebooting.

Now that I look at the specs I uploaded, I'm a little concerned about my CPU temp. SpeedFan is registering 59-64 Celsius.

Last edited:

jafrankl

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
If you're really worried about the cpu temp, I would take your cooler off, clean it, and put new paste on. Also clean out the fins on the heat sink. The power supply could have aged poorly and might be failing under load - when the CPU and GPU are demanding higher power during games.

SerialSniper14

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Opened up the case and let it breathe while I played tonight. No crashes. I think when I upgraded the GPU the old 92mm fan just couldn’t keep up with the increased heat production. Ordered two new fans and thermal paste, hopefully that will do the trick.

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
If your temps were 62 at idle i'd be inclined to think its overheating and shutting off to save from damage, case fans might not be enough get a new cooler too, at 9 years old things will probably be degrading by now.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it's 62 at idle, then yes that's a concern, if it's 62 under load, I wouldn't be worried.

Intel chips can easily reach 85 degreees before throttling. The 2600 max throttle temp is around 90 degrees+ if I am not mistaken.

What is your PSU make and model?

BringerOfTea

Reputable
If it's 62 at idle, then yes that's a concern, if it's 62 under load, I wouldn't be worried.

Intel chips can easily reach 85 degreees before throttling. The 2600 max throttle temp is around 90 degrees+ if I am not mistaken.

What is your PSU make and model?

jafrankl said:
75°C is usually a throttle point for CPUs. What wattage is your power supply and what brand? When did you last replace your CPU thermal paste?
Never, it's original. Everything but the SSD, GPU, and Power supply is about 9 years old. PS is a Seasonic Focus Plus 650w 80+ Gold.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
So was this going on before you replaced the hdd and psu? If so then I'm inclined to think that issue is most likely systemboard in absence of a dump file. I would try running on one stick of RAM for a bit to rule out bad RAM or RAM slot. Best way to do this would be overnight, leave the system run with one module while running a stress test like occt, and if the system has rebooted come morning you'll know that your memory stick isn't causing the issue. It is also possible the stress test will identify an issue that could be contributing to your problems.

SerialSniper14

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
So was this going on before you replaced the hdd and psu? If so then I'm inclined to think that issue is most likely systemboard in absence of a dump file. I would try running on one stick of RAM for a bit to rule out bad RAM or RAM slot. Best way to do this would be overnight, leave the system run with one module while running a stress test like occt, and if the system has rebooted come morning you'll know that your memory stick isn't causing the issue. It is also possible the stress test will identify an issue that could be contributing to your problems.

It would crash occasionally, maybe once a month or so. Now it’s regular though opening the case up has seemed to help. I’ve replaced the thermal paste, will post later if that fixed it. There was barely any left.

I’ll try this if cooling isn’t the issue. My wife used the computer too and has 3 billion tabs pulled up but never had a crash. It only seems to be when I’m gaming, which is also when the temps spike.

SerialSniper14

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
So the crashes have been reduced significantly and are now just sporadic. In fact, it now seems to only happen on a certain game so I may try a clean install of that.

New issue: the first time I booted after I replaced the thermal paste I got a BSOD. After that, every time I login I get a black screen with cursor and have to wait about a minute for Windows to load. Oddly, even my Comodo overlay loads while stuck on the black screen. What could be causing that? Doesn't seem like a coincidence that it only started after I replaced the paste.

I did try sfc /scannow in command prompt but it came back clean.

TRENDING THREADS