[SOLVED] PC crashes to a black screen for unknown reasons

Aleksandar_28

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
Hello, I've been having a problem where my whole PC would crash to a totally unresponsive state at seemingly unpredictable moments. It always happens while in game and 99% of the time it happens when leaving areas, opening inventories or just loading new areas (examples, entering new rooms in Hue, opening the inventory in the Witcher 3, finishing a map in Phasmophobia). All screens would go black, all lights on my keyboard turn off, the last sound played stays on and becomes a scary screech and the only way to get it back to life is to press the restart button.

Specs:
  • Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600
  • Gpu: Radeon rx580
  • Mb: Gigabyte A320M-H-CF
  • Storage: two Kingstone ssds put in raid0
  • Ram: 16gb (1 stick is random brand and other is HyperX and both at 2400MHz)
  • Psu: no name 550W (bad, I know)

Notable things and things that I've tried before:
  • this has been happening across multiple windows installations so it's not a driver problem
  • this happened while I didn't have the drives in raid0
  • this has been happening even before adding the second stick of ram so it's not because they are different brands
  • two restarts are sometimes needed and sometimes the fans go full speed for a while
  • bios is up to date or at least pretty up to date
  • no overclocking on any of the components
  • I've ran furmark, cinabench and crystal disk mark with no crashes
  • PC is some 2 years old and has not really been pushed too hard

The problem appears at random times and i haven't been able to replicate it manually so I come for your help.
I am open to trying any ideas and advises and thank you in advance.

Solution
what is the make and model of the PSU, open the case and take a picture of the label and post it here.
there are 550W units that can only provide 300W. post the label so we can get a full view of the issue please

"no name 550W (bad, I know)" the first thing I would suggest is to swap PSU's. a friend or family member, swap and test.
Your either experincing ram proplems frim the original stick most likely since you had the problem before a new stick. Or one of the ssd's are in a poor state
Hello, I've been having a problem where my whole PC would crash to a totally unresponsive state at seemingly unpredictable moments. It always happens while in game and 99% of the time it happens when leaving areas, opening inventories or just loading new areas (examples, entering new rooms in Hue, opening the inventory in the Witcher 3, finishing a map in Phasmophobia). All screens would go black, all lights on my keyboard turn off, the last sound played stays on and becomes a scary screech and the only way to get it back to life is to press the restart button.

Specs:
  • Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600
  • Gpu: Radeon rx580
  • Mb: Gigabyte A320M-H-CF
  • Storage: two Kingstone ssds put in raid0
  • Ram: 16gb (1 stick is random brand and other is HyperX and both at 2400MHz)
  • Psu: no name 550W (bad, I know)
Notable things and things that I've tried before:
  • this has been happening across multiple windows installations so it's not a driver problem
  • this happened while I didn't have the drives in raid0
  • this has been happening even before adding the second stick of ram so it's not because they are different brands
  • two restarts are sometimes needed and sometimes the fans go full speed for a while
  • bios is up to date or at least pretty up to date
  • no overclocking on any of the components
  • I've ran furmark, cinabench and crystal disk mark with no crashes
  • PC is some 2 years old and has not really been pushed too hard
The problem appears at random times and i haven't been able to replicate it manually so I come for your help.
I am open to trying any ideas and advises and thank you in advance.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
what is the make and model of the PSU, open the case and take a picture of the label and post it here.
there are 550W units that can only provide 300W. post the label so we can get a full view of the issue please

"no name 550W (bad, I know)" the first thing I would suggest is to swap PSU's. a friend or family member, swap and test.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution

Aleksandar_28

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017

Im an idiot, its a 600W psu.
View: https://imgur.com/a/5x4egwe

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
memtest86 is made to test for RAM errors. download it, fire it up and let it run for 5 passes or so, first bo5th sticks together, if no errors your good, if you throw an error, remove one and test each stick. no errors is the magic number. ZERO.

that is not a 600W unit, its a 480W. its branded as a 600W unit. the numbers that matter are the 12V numbers. the 3.3v rail has more amperage than one of the 12V rails. that GPU is a hungry beast capable of eating half the total (@240W) available power while under load.

Reactions: white.a.drew

Aleksandar_28

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
memtest86 is made to test for RAM errors. download it, fire it up and let it run for 5 passes or so, first bo5th sticks together, if no errors your good, if you throw an error, remove one and test each stick. no errors is the magic number. ZERO.

that is not a 600W unit, its a 480W. its branded as a 600W unit. the numbers that matter are the 12V numbers. the 3.3v rail has more amperage than one of the 12V rails. that GPU is a hungry beast capable of eating half the total (@240W) available power while under load.
Tested the ram and it all came back clear. Ordered a new 650W gigabyte psu and hoping that the problem gets resolved. Thank you for the help!

Tested the ram and it all came back clear. Ordered a new 650W gigabyte psu and hoping that the problem gets resolved. Thank you for the help!
Ooo yeah im sorry thats not really a very good option gigabyte is just getting into psu's and has been having issues with a lot of their launches. Either not working, frying systems, or just out right shotty preformance like the one you have now

Would have recommened evga all the way

Aleksandar_28

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
Ooo yeah im sorry thats not really a very good option gigabyte is just getting into psu's and has been having issues with a lot of their launches. Either not working, frying systems, or just out right shotty preformance like the one you have now

Would have recommened evga all the way
Craaaaaaaaapppp. Should have heard alarm bells in my head when I realized I've never heard of a gigabyte psu before haha. I got a Gigabyte GP-P650B 650W. Should I cancel it?

Craaaaaaaaapppp. Should have heard alarm bells in my head when I realized I've never heard of a gigabyte psu before haha. I got a Gigabyte GP-P650B 650W. Should I cancel it?

Corsair CV650 (different from 450/550 watt versions)

The only gigabyte PB unit that's on the tier list is in tier C, which doesn't inspire confidence. @Aleksandar_28 might be able to expand on this.

One of the other people here say it better
Gigabyte P550B and P650B are very different, former is outdated group regulated topology and Japanese capacitors don't help here, the latter however is more modern platform utilizing DC-DC conversion.

Aleksandar_28

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
Is anyone reading this anymore?
I changed the psu for a Seasonic 650W and the problem is still present. I am taking the pc to a tech shop but just wanted to post an update on the situation.
Thank you all for the help nonetheless <3