Question PC crashes to a black screen while gaming ?

Gudradi

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
A friend mailed me his old Nvidia RTX 2070 Super after upgrading. I installed it into my current pc (replacing an AMD Radeon RX 580) with seemingly no issues until I started gaming. I only tested about 4 games before giving up. I was able to play League of Legends with no issues, but God of War 4, Skyrim, and Icarus all crashed within 5 minutes to about an hour.

What happens is both monitors will turn black, no sound at all, pc becomes unresponsive but case lights are still on and fans are spinning. Im unable to shutdown the pc using the power button and instead have turn off via psu switch. I was able to immediately turn it back on and it booted up with no issues until this last time. Now the lights and fans come on, mouse and keyboard light up, but nothing on the monitors on startup.

Specs are:
GPU - EVGA NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16)
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk AM4
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 1000W

I've tried for hours to resolve this before the current start up issue. I tried every tutorial I could find. Tried reseating GPU and RAM, used DDU to uninstall the AMD drivers, reinstalled Nvidia drivers, ran dsim and sfc scans, it's not overheating, CPU usage was peaking 99% in task manager but I tried limiting CPU power usage. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. If I'm missing any info let me know and I will provide it asap.

Gudradi

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 1000W
How old is the PSU in your build? For the sake of relevance, is this the PSU you're working with?

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk AM4
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
Yes that appears to be the same PSU and as far as age I'm not sure. I was originally given this pc around 4 years ago and it was previously a "server pc" from what the friend who gave it to me said. I've been slowly upgrading but that is the PSU that was in it at the time.

As far as the BIOS version I unfortunately dont have that information and not sure if I can get it currently. I never updated the BIOS if that helps.

Sorry if my info is lacking I am somewhat new at this but I'll provide what I can.

Edit 1: I just tried booting and its booted up just fine. I apparently knocked the power chords loose for the monitors while under the desk trying to get my psu model -_- so I'll try to find the BIOS version

Edit 2: in system info under system summary BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 1.E0 6/9/2020

Last edited: