[SOLVED] PC Crashes to Random Coloured Screen

Apr 25, 2020
Specs
Intel xeon 1220 v2
16GB ram (2x4GB + 1x8GB)
RX 570 8GB
Corsair RM550x power supply
asus p8h77v-le motherboard

About half a year ago my old GPU died while I was playing GTA V. Whole PC shut off and the graphics card wouldn't work unless it was in safe mode, drivers wouldn't install. I bought a new RX570 8GB card. The screen would sometimes flash with "static" and sometimes would crash completely, the screen turns a random solid colour. Once or twice the PC reset because of the anti-surge protection. So I figured the very old 450W PSU was to blame. Yesterday I got a brand new 550w corsair psu, installed it, and the PC still crashes.

It happens randomly throughout the day. It ALWAYS happens 1-3 times when I first start the PC in the morning. It will load windows, then 2-3 minutes later the screen turns a solid colour. Before I bought the psu it would do it when I started a 3d application like a game, or even when using Youtube or Spotify with nothing else open. I don't really suspect the brand new gpu because I've tried running stress tests on it and it works just fine. And after the PC crashes once or twice, it will happily run the CPU and GPU at 100%.

Things I tried:
  • bought new PSU
  • new psu cable
  • switched gpu PCI slots
  • disconnected dvd drive
  • removed sound card
  • installed newset gpu drivers

Things I have left to try:
  • reinstall windows
  • get a new hdmi cable? But the whole PC freezes, it's not just the display.
  • Try using my old cpu. I have an i3 2120... but this (second hand) CPU was working perfectly fine before with my old gpu.
  • Return the gpu to amazon
  • assume it's the motherboard, so scrap all this and get a new pc

Any ideas? I briefly read somewhere that it's possible that the metal in the computer heats up and expands and that causes it to run correctly, and that when it's cold it shrinks. It would maybe explain why it crashes 2 or 3 times in the morning then it runs mostly ok? It still crashes after that every now and then though.

Theres no logs in the windows event viewer. Only "unexpected shutdown" because I have to hold the power button to restart the PC after the screen turns a solid color.

Solution
Hi Sundayz,

I'm sorry to hear that you have issues with your PC, you can try and go to the motherboard's manufactuer website and get a BIOS Update from there. If this doesn't work, try and go into the BIOS with integrated graphics and change the CPU to turbo mode if possible.

Yours Sincerely,
Naly Ahmad

BIOS UPDATE
Apr 26, 2020
Hi Sundayz,

I'm sorry to hear that you have issues with your PC, you can try and go to the motherboard's manufactuer website and get a BIOS Update from there. If this doesn't work, try and go into the BIOS with integrated graphics and change the CPU to turbo mode if possible.

Yours Sincerely,
Naly Ahmad

BIOS UPDATE

Solution
Apr 25, 2020
Thanks for the help Naly. When I removed the GPU the PC started working fine. Now I'm trying to figure out of this means the GPU is faulty or maybe if there is damage done to the motherboard.

Apr 26, 2020
Hi sundayz,

Thanks for replying, there is a possible problem with the PCIe Port on your motherboard, maybe try cleaning it with IPA? The possibility with the GPU being damaged is very low as you said the GPU was new.

Please reply if this helped,
Naly