Pc crashes under minimal load black screen burnt smell visual damage to card?

bobbarker1099

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
Hi so I bought a used gaming PC that started up but after playing games on it for about 20 minutes the whole system shut down and when I turned it back on I heard a pop and could smell something burnt but wasn't able to figure out where it came from the computer would start up fine.

But I realised under stress the screen would go black then say nothing was connected to the monitor the all the fans would be spinning except the gpu so I took it out to examine it and the graphics card had some sticky residue on the back like something had spilt on it.

So I took the heat sink off and examining the chips one of the chips has a small hole burnt into what I believe is a mosfet chip I'll try to include a picture but could the sticky stuff have caused a short and if so would it still turn on like it has been?

It's a xfx rx 560 I just want to make sure before I buy another card to only end up with the same problem? https://imgur.com/ZVDwhVu

Solution

Yes, it might start up.
And then when you actually use it....poof

You need a new GPU.
well looking at the pea size hole in your controller chip.. I would say... you need another video card.
uoaeq0g.png

bobbarker1099

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
Is that what it is a controller chip? Is it normal it still starts up with it like that? And I know I whipped most of the sticky stuff off it was wet it's like it dried up IDK what he spilt on it.

bobbarker1099

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
And I did a full while I installed my own ssd I just wanted to make sure the power supply or something didn't cause this before I go out and buy a new card that I won't be able to return

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, it might start up.
And then when you actually use it....poof

You need a new GPU.

Solution