[SOLVED] PC crashes when Committed Ram reaches 8.1GB

Sentrik

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015
I upgraded my PC a little while ago and it always had an issue with crashing. At first it was chipset updates, then selecting old BIOS versions so it could run, then it was Realtek Drivers that were causing a problem. Right now I’ve been monitoring my task manager when I crash and first thing I notice is when committed memory reaches 8.1GB it crashes. I’ve tried using just 1 stick of ram instead of 2, tried using different slots, and none of it works.

is this just faulty hardware, or is there something I can do here? A-XMP profiles crash the PC even faster and manually setting speeds and timings don’t help.

Specs:
B450 Tomahawk MAX
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
GTX 1080Ti
G.Skill Ripjaw V 2x8GB 3200mhz
Brand new Seasonic 750Watt Gold standard PSU

Solution
D
failing hardware. try a different drive to install windows on, test ram with memtest86 (bootable usb)
I upgraded my PC a little while ago and it always had an issue with crashing. At first it was chipset updates, then selecting old BIOS versions so it could run, then it was Realtek Drivers that were causing a problem. Right now I’ve been monitoring my task manager when I crash and first thing I notice is when committed memory reaches 8.1GB it crashes. I’ve tried using just 1 stick of ram instead of 2, tried using different slots, and none of it works.

is this just faulty hardware, or is there something I can do here? A-XMP profiles crash the PC even faster and manually setting speeds and timings don’t help.

Specs:
B450 Tomahawk MAX
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
GTX 1080Ti
G.Skill Ripjaw V 2x8GB 3200mhz
Brand new Seasonic 750Watt Gold standard PSU
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot the stick and let it run.
No errors allowed.

Sentrik

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015
I ran it and it worked fine. No errors. not 100% sure how share the results of the tests on here, but it did every test, I let it run all night, and there were 0 errors across the board.

Sentrik

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015
So, sitting down for the first time in 2 weeks, let me clarify what I’ve tried. This is a bit of a deep problem I’ve been working on. Upgrading CPU to Ryzen 5 5600X sparked this problem, but the brunt of it was fixed because I just forgot to update chipset drivers after BIOS.

More crashes came after it so I reinstalled windows which made booting just a little more reliable (though not by much)

I keep getting Event ID 41 Critical Errors in Event Viewer, these are accompanied by a TPM error 15, CertEnroll error 86, and an EventLog error 6008 which all could just be documented because of the crash.

I’ve reseated the RAM, GPU, unplugged and plugged back in the SSD, and switched out the PSU to no avail.
It looks like the PC crashes more specifically when I open a web browser leading me to believe it could be an OS issue, but I can’t be 100% sure because I just reinstalled Windows.

I did install windows on a CSM boot which formatted the SSD to the other format that I can’t remember off the top of my head. I don’t think that should cause a problem like this, but it would prevent windows from performing Automatic Startup Repairs which turns attention back to the OS.

I’d like to switch my boot drive to GPT, but really don’t want to lose my data again. I might exhaust this option sometime today and post the results.

otherwise what are my options? Could it be a bad GPU that causes a crash that directly related to the RAM load? Or could it be a faulty board with a bad bus? At this point if I RMA the board I’ll just get a new one with a better chipset, but if I can avoid dropping $120 on a good board I would like to.

So, sitting down for the first time in 2 weeks, let me clarify what I’ve tried. This is a bit of a deep problem I’ve been working on. Upgrading CPU to Ryzen 5 5600X sparked this problem, but the brunt of it was fixed because I just forgot to update chipset drivers after BIOS.

More crashes came after it so I reinstalled windows which made booting just a little more reliable (though not by much)

I keep getting Event ID 41 Critical Errors in Event Viewer, these are accompanied by a TPM error 15, CertEnroll error 86, and an EventLog error 6008 which all could just be documented because of the crash.

I’ve reseated the RAM, GPU, unplugged and plugged back in the SSD, and switched out the PSU to no avail.
It looks like the PC crashes more specifically when I open a web browser leading me to believe it could be an OS issue, but I can’t be 100% sure because I just reinstalled Windows.

I did install windows on a CSM boot which formatted the SSD to the other format that I can’t remember off the top of my head. I don’t think that should cause a problem like this, but it would prevent windows from performing Automatic Startup Repairs which turns attention back to the OS.

I’d like to switch my boot drive to GPT, but really don’t want to lose my data again. I might exhaust this option sometime today and post the results.

otherwise what are my options? Could it be a bad GPU that causes a crash that directly related to the RAM load? Or could it be a faulty board with a bad bus? At this point if I RMA the board I’ll just get a new one with a better chipset, but if I can avoid dropping $120 on a good board I would like to.
Run a pass of crystaldiskinfo and post a screenshot for all disk.

D

Deleted member 14196

what process did you use to reinstall windows? did you format and reinstall? if not, that is very likely your issue. everyone thinks they can upgrade the cpu and windows will be fine. in my experience, more times than not it's a horrendous problem--so much so that whenever I do major upgrades it's FORMAT and REINSTALL clean time so I am not constantly bothered by issues like this.

How To Do A Clean Installation Of Windows 10 | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

if you have not done the procedure above then you need to. if it still won't work after that it's a hardware issue.

Sentrik

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015
what process did you use to reinstall windows? did you format and reinstall? if not, that is very likely your issue. everyone thinks they can upgrade the cpu and windows will be fine. in my experience, more times than not it's a horrendous problem--so much so that whenever I do major upgrades it's FORMAT and REINSTALL clean time so I am not constantly bothered by issues like this.

How To Do A Clean Installation Of Windows 10 | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

if you have not done the procedure above then you need to. if it still won't work after that it's a hardware issue.

Tried this just now and it’s basically bricked my PC. I reinstalled windows clean. The boot drive was completely empty, fully allocated, installed Windows. Now when trying to setup windows it instantly crashes. Sometimes when just loading setup, mostly crashes the moment any input it made from mouse or keyboard even if it’s just moving the mouse.

can’t use startup repair because for some reason there’s a password on the default user account.

Sitting here now, it’s been running fine at setup but the moment I move my mouse it will crash.

yes, all other drives were fully disconnected in this process and yes I booted and installed in UEFI.

crystaldiskinfo returned all drives were functioning besides my oldest drive which isn’t even my boot drive. The problem is occurring without it even being connected though.

During startup repair I can move the mouse and use the keyboard freely so I have no freaking clue what could be doing this. Secure boot is disabled, the only things connected to the PC are mouse and display port.

this is getting increasingly annoying

D

Deleted member 14196

failing hardware. try a different drive to install windows on, test ram with memtest86 (bootable usb)

Solution

Sentrik

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015

You are right.

Found the culprit. On a whim I swapped the 5600X with my old 2400G and it ran perfectly. Couldn’t accept that ending, so I dug around for issues with the 5600X that people are having and found a bunch of posts that PBO and Core boost are essentially undervolting the CPU and causing it to shut down and crash the PC. So I swapped back in the 5600X and disabled core boost and PBO and the computer works Fine now.

so frustrating that after probably 20+ hours of work into fixing this problem it was the result of poor functions in one of the most expensive parts.

thank you for helping me out on this!

TRENDING THREADS