PC crashes when connecting usb

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Hi
As the topic says; when i connect any external hdd to my pc via usb it sometimes randomly chrashes, meaning mouse and keyboard led go out, and everything freezes on the desktop or what ever program is open.
i really dont know what causes this.

Some other thing is, that sometimes when i am browsing in chrome, yt fb ect, it freezes. i can move the mouse, but not clik, and after 30 sec - 1 min it continues as if nothing had happened.

any help is appreciated.

andreasdig2

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015
This problem has only occured to me when I had a faulty externall HDD (for my laptop) and the time when I hooked it up to my main build.

The HDD was u fortunately faulty. But I got a new one after a week.

Hi there birne,

Have you tried connecting the drive to different slots?
It is possible that some software is accessing the drives when connected. You can disable your antivirus/spyware software -> reboot and try connecting the drive.
It will not hurt to test both drives(internal and external) with some HDD testing tool: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

It may be a good idea to go to your MOBO's website and update/reinstall your USB drivers.

The overall freezes could be caused by many things(RAM, overheating, etc.). What are your specs?

D_Know_WD

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
changing to a different usb slot does not change it, still chrashes sometimes.
i will try to disable the autoread of drives in my antivirus when i get home. (currently at work)
i have already done a disc-check to the hdd but it does not come up with any bad sectors or anything, and it isnt fragmented as i have checked that too.
but will try the seatool when i get home.
as for the usb drivers, i do have a amd board, so doesnt the drivers come from ccc? because it does install some usb drivers when i reinstall it for driver update.

system is:
fx8350
asrock 990fx extreme3
4gb adata ram
4gb noname ram
128gb ssd adata
1 tb hitachi
2x r9 280 xfx

you think it could be caused by my different ram sticks?
because i dont have overheating. cpu not going over 45 on load and gpus are around 50 - 60 degrees on load

It is possible that your RAM is causing this. You can see whether this is the case if you just take one of the RAM sticks out. In case the issue persists, try running your system with the other one.
You can also observe Resource Monitor and see whether there is something abnormal during these freezes. :)

D_Know_WD

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
i will try to see if the ram is the problem.
but during the freeze i cant access the recource monitor because i can move the mouse, but when clicking on something it says not responding, and then first opens when the freeze is over.

andreasdig2

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015

Reinstall chrome on the hdd inside of the pc

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
yea, i have done that, but it did not change it.
but gonna put my money on the ram thing, because i have run it with only the adata ram stik for about 3 hours nor and intensivly plugged usb devices in and out again, and no chrash or freeze up until now. gonna see if it lasts, and if so i probably need new ram.