[SOLVED] PC crashes when enabling Ethernet connection

Jun 4, 2020
So this is the second time I have this problem. I turned my PC on and it says I'm not connected to any networks. When I go into change adapter options, my ethernet connector is marked as Disabled. When I click on enable, my PC completely freezes. If I reboot the PC after it crashes, it works completely fine until I attempt to enable it again. I don't remember how I fixed it last time but it was by pure chance. Anybody know why this happens/how to fix it?

Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Is the PC directly wired to the router or are there interim connection points: wall outlets, switches, powerline adapters, etc.?

Have you tried another known working Ethernet cable(s)?

Run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt.

Who has full admin rights to the network router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may prove helpful.

You will need help from the router's administrator.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Is the PC directly wired to the router or are there interim connection points: wall outlets, switches, powerline adapters, etc.?

Have you tried another known working Ethernet cable(s)?

Run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt.

Who has full admin rights to the network router? The router's logs (if available and enabled) may prove helpful.

You will need help from the router's administrator.

Solution
In addition to follow up Ralston18 suggestions try this:
  • Try to disconnect the cable, and then enable the network adapter. Does it still crash?
  • Are there other computers that are connected to the same router/switch using a network cable? If yes - do they have a working connection?