Question PC Crashes when gaming. Monitor shows no signal, fans get really loud but the audio still plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2022
Ok so here's the skinny
  1. When i play games, my pc runs smooth as butter (play vermintide 2 and valorant with the boys these days)
  2. I decided to check out Ghostwire Tokyo
  3. Game runs at a stable framerate ( around 70-ish fps)
  4. At some point however, my pc crashes, fans in the PC get really loud, the monitor says "No signal", however the background audio (like a youtube podcast) still plays normally. The only way to fix this is to turn off the PC by holding the power button for a few seconds.
This happens always when i play Ghostwire Tokyo or other intense games (had this issue with Warframe back in the day but it went away after i tweaked some settings).

Specs:
MB: Aorus Ultra Gaming x470 rev 1
CPU: Ryzen 2600
GPU: Vega 56 Strix Gaming OC
PSU: Some 650w Seasonic thing (cant remember the model but i remember it having an 80+ certificate and very good reviews)
RAM; 16gb at 2133mhz (cant remember the exact model)

Now i dont do crazy overclocks, the most tweaking i did with my vega was increasing fan speed in Adrenalin and increasing the power limit to 50%+
Usually this crash happens around 30 minutes in and during curscene intros (as in the part where the screen blacks out and goes from gameplay to cutscene)
I read somewhere that the DisplayPort cable might be the problem so i bought a new one, which i thought fixed this at first but it just made the crash happen after 1 hour rather than 30 minutes.
During gameplay my GPU runs at 73-74 C and CPU is in the 61-62C territory. There are no stutters, slowdowns or other signs that would indicate that the PC is about to kermit sewerslide.
I have been looking for a fix for days now and im at the end of my sanity now. Please, pretty please, help me.

Ok so here's the skinny
  1. When i play games, my pc runs smooth as butter (play vermintide 2 and valorant with the boys these days)
  2. I decided to check out Ghostwire Tokyo
  3. Game runs at a stable framerate ( around 70-ish fps)
  4. At some point however, my pc crashes, fans in the PC get really loud, the monitor says "No signal", however the background audio (like a youtube podcast) still plays normally. The only way to fix this is to turn off the PC by holding the power button for a few seconds.
This happens always when i play Ghostwire Tokyo or other intense games (had this issue with Warframe back in the day but it went away after i tweaked some settings).

Specs:
MB: Aorus Ultra Gaming x470 rev 1
CPU: Ryzen 2600
GPU: Vega 56 Strix Gaming OC
PSU: Some 650w Seasonic thing (cant remember the model but i remember it having an 80+ certificate and very good reviews)
RAM; 16gb at 2133mhz (cant remember the exact model)

Now i dont do crazy overclocks, the most tweaking i did with my vega was increasing fan speed in Adrenalin and increasing the power limit to 50%+
Usually this crash happens around 30 minutes in and during curscene intros (as in the part where the screen blacks out and goes from gameplay to cutscene)
I read somewhere that the DisplayPort cable might be the problem so i bought a new one, which i thought fixed this at first but it just made the crash happen after 1 hour rather than 30 minutes.
During gameplay my GPU runs at 73-74 C and CPU is in the 61-62C territory. There are no stutters, slowdowns or other signs that would indicate that the PC is about to kermit sewerslide.
I have been looking for a fix for days now and im at the end of my sanity now. Please, pretty please, help me.
Set the gpu power limit back to stock....test.

Aug 25, 2022
if audio is still functioning but video is dead i would assume the graphics card is going bad.

do peripheral devices(mouse, keyboard, etc) or motherboard, case, etc have LEDs patterns that remain lit and running or any other devices that also flash off when the display goes dark?
Also this seems to only happen in game. I ran 3dmark stress test, furmark and adrenalin stress tests and didnt get any crashes.

this seems to only happen in game.
if it was only a single game or while using a specific game engine it would make more sense but the fact that it happens with different titles complicates things.

i would try to find a temporary replacement card to test from some associate or maybe even pay a local shop to test and see if the same issue arises with a different card.

one easier you could do before taking it that far would be to remove all graphics related data using DDU in Windows' Safe Mode and reinstall the latest available driver package from Nvidia, maybe leave GeForce Experience uninstalled.

Nvidia drivers are unstable without overclocking and even more unstable with overclocking.
what would lead you to state that?

my last 4 main cards have been GTX & RTX and i've never experienced any issue between them driver-wise in any games or other graphical processing.

maybe you are experimenting with beta packages or other non-DCH versions that are giving you difficulty?

Aug 25, 2022
if it was only a single game or while using a specific game engine it would make more sense but the fact that it happens with different titles complicates things.

i would try to find a temporary replacement card to test from some associate or maybe even pay a local shop to test and see if the same issue arises with a different card.

one easier you could do before taking it that far would be to remove all graphics related data using DDU in Windows' Safe Mode and reinstall the latest available driver package from Nvidia, maybe leave GeForce Experience uninstalled.
did that DDU clean driver install and still no dice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS